Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Wish there was a pissing contest icon... or a d*ck measuring contest

I have 19" GT/CS OEM Wheels with P Zero Nero tires... I like the looks, I like the feel, and the rest of you be damned!
Well, at least the exchanges have been entertaining.

Another point is if you really want those big brake kits.... You're gonna be looking at big wheels with lots of vents to cool those suckers off as well as accommodate having them.

Not gonna happen on small assed wheels.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I like the looks, I like the feel, and the rest of you be damned!
Finally. This guy gets it.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I don't like the short sidewall "fat rubber band" looking tires at all, and I've seen the prices on those "fat rubber bands" and enough bent rims using them.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Finally. This guy gets it.

Oh I get it. Its just some people don't understand the underlying differences in tires and application. A person who understands when and where Drag radials applies knows they are designed for use on larger diameter wheels and can easily be designed to do double duty as limited street tires and that means limited since they aren't designed for prolonged high speed runs. These peeps have no business trying to fan flames either way.

But then there are bias ply Drag tires for serious hardcore quarter horses that have no business on the streets nor could they sustain the types of prolonged speeds a street tire is designed for without a catastrophic failure. These people have no business trying to fan flames either.

Then there are people who get it And know the reason why car manufacturers target the 18" wheel pocket for AWD and FWD performance sedans and imports is because they've done their homework and know the wider radial rubber and shorter stiffer sidewalls perform better for street only applications to handle corners and bumps. That same research went into Performance RWD cars and show real world Benefit from a wider staggered setup and shorter stiffer sidewalls for street applications. That these cars are also expected to dodge and weave corners and bumps unlike a drag car... They learn to pair those meaty wider and shorter radials with lighter alloy wheels to improve unsprung weight and accommodate BIG ASSED BRAKES

A drag car which is solely meant to go a straight line for a short distance and not on tires designed to sustain the prolonged high speeds that a road car can. And they might sound intimidating, but often can't take the daily abuse of street use, especially on drag tires, whether Bias ply or Radials.

Hows that for friendly flaming fun. Filled with useful facts about tires and wheels.

yeah i know.... who cares. Well I do. Knowledge is power.

Originally Posted by tbear853
I don't like the short sidewall "fat rubber band" looking tires at all, and I've seen the prices on those "fat rubber bands" and enough bent rims using them.
Homework done properly would have taken into consideration where you drive, how you drive and translates into a fatter tire with taller sidewall for whatever wheel size you go with. Or not, if you baby your car and want the looks. Again its all relative to the application. But odds are the Wider rubber with short sidewall radials on an appropriate lightweight wheel will handle better than your setup on any autocross. ..... And most of these radial summer tires are actually reasonably affordable when compared to all season or winter only tires.... unless you're looking at tires for a Prius??? Just sayin

Now for the icing...

If you like it.... then who gives a crap what others think. But at least come to the game knowing the real reasons each type of tire has its benefits when used for the proper application. Instead of saying oh I don't like them because, they look silly, my experience this or that. Instead like a good student... do a little homework and try to understand what it is and why it is. Then use that to make a better decision for your particular application.

Or if this is your daily driver buy three sets of wheels and tires.

1. Summer rubber w bigger wheels with a WIDE contact patch
2. Winter rubber with a smaller wheel and taller sidewall
3. A set of drag radials or Bias Ply depending on how much power you're laying down on small wheels (providing you don't have BIG ASSED BRAKES)

Or you get three other solutions

1. A summer car
2. A winter car
3. A Drag car

either way done deal.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You could have shortened that up by saying, "I like big wheels and I don't care what you think."
Old 09-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

You could have shortened that up by saying, "I like big wheels and I don't care what you think."
LOL. but there's no dropping knowledge for the rest in that. the benefit here...

At least learn something... Then have an opinion... everyone benefits that way.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

"Drag radials are designed for use on larger diameter wheels." Keep dropping that knowledge.

I like fats and skinnies and don't care what anyone has to say about it.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Talking

"Drag radials are designed for use on larger diameter wheels." Keep dropping that knowledge.

I like fats and skinnies and don't care what anyone has to say about it.
Sure...

How about ...if you go with Bias ply Hoosiers you can go even fatter and skinnier.

But, still can't hang on twisties with the street cars.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Street car? I'm unfamiliar with this concept...
P.S. My Hoosiers are bias ply.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 09-15-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 PM
SMR2647

I have staggered 20x8.5/10 on 255/35 295/35 lowered on Sportlines + other suspension mods. With my current mods handling feels better than stock but overall the comfort of the ride is crap. 20's on stock suspension look stupid so you might as well lower it and if you're going to lower then do it right with supporting mods. I knew this before I bought them though and it was a looks only mod as my Mustang is not my daily driver. If it was I would have kept it on 18's.
Quick breaking to a complete stop is also negatively affected so keep that in mind if you aren't planning to upgrade your breaks.

Or just slap on some 20's and accept the trade offs. In the end it's all about the look you are trying to achieve because there are 0 performance benefits that I can see from putting 20" wheels on these cars.

Quick Reply: Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?