Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
dearborndave

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Dave Brewer Dave Brewer
Send a message via Yahoo to dearborndave
Default Hot Rod Cams Install

Okay, I installed a set of hot rod cams in my 06 GT. Hitting the brakes after start up is a very harrowing experience. Lets just say they don't a lot of vacuum. Does anybody else have this problem, or is it just me. I think I need to get a vacuum canister, has anyone else had this problem?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
dearborndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Legend Lime and 1967 CP

I dont have them but I've never heard this in the years if reading about them. Obviously aggressive cams create less vacuum but I never thought the hot rods were crazy more aggressive than the stockers.. I'm curious to know of anyone else's brakes are soft after this. I plan on the hot rods as my next mod

Last edited by drewsky; 07-02-2014 at 02:00 AM.
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
dearborndave

Dave Brewer Dave Brewer

It's not that the brakes are soft, it's that they are rock hard and don't work because there is no vacuum at idle. Once I drive the car and get some vacuum built up the brakes are fine.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Legend Lime and 1967 CP

Ok, yah I kinda figured they would be firm rather than soft. Well about once a week if my car is parked over 8 hours the brake pedal is rock hard. It says in the owners manual this is normal and should engage the e brake. They soften up in a few seconds however. How long is it taking you? Till the car is fully warm, or a few min?
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
dearborndave

Dave Brewer Dave Brewer

It doesn't take long, maybe just the first 2-3 times you use the brakes there is no power assist. As soon as I can rev the motor up a bit and let off the gas to get into a high vacuum situation, the brakes are good after that.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: '07 Mustang GT

The hotrods give less vacuum. My car does it too. From what I've read across forums, all 3V cars with aggressive cams do it too. As soon as the engine shuts off, the brake pedal is useless. You just have to use your e-brake when the car isn't running and get used to it. It should have very little to no effect on pedal effort when the engine is running.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement