Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

RACE SPEC MGW SHIFTER!!! It's Arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 AM
rockhillgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RACE SPEC MGW SHIFTER!!! It's Arrived!

I know some of you may have heard about the new MGW race spec shifter. Well it has been officially announced today. I have been using it for 2 weeks on my 2013 Mustang GT/CS and it's my DD. Let me tell you, there is absolutely nothing like it on the market.

I had the Blowfish bracket, which don't get me wrong is an improvement in itself but nothing like this new shifter! It is the previous MGW shifter greatly improved. It gives you a better feel and all with no vibration.

Going between gears with this shifter is so smooth. I can't describe the amazing feel of this. There is nothing like it on the market and there won't be any Barton or MGW threads anymore. Will just be plain MGW.

This is my first ever MGW shifter and it trumps anything I've every had in the past. I had the blowfish bracket and after using this shifter for just one day, I put it up for sale and haven't looked back.

The price is $487 and if you send back your gen 1 MGW shifter back they will refund you $200 for your core exchange.

They are selling the first batch right now. Not sure how many are left. Call MGW at 706.793.1770.

Check out a pic of it on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/MGWshifters
Old 11-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Widow Maker
5th Gear Member

MGW has really nailed this one... there is nothing that can compare to the new Race Spec MT-82 short throw shifter.

I had a MGW short throw shifter in my 2011 GT and absolutely loved the way it performed. This summer I bought my 2014 Roush RS3, and knew I wanted to replace the stock shifter for an MGW, and when I saw what the new racing spec shifter had to offer I was all over it!

Went down to MGW last weekend and George installed mine. This new design is amazing. It replaces the brace and the stock linkage which virtually eliminates any vibration. Shifting is effortless, with the stock shifter you had to "guide" it into gear, this new design almost shifts itself. When you go to put it into first gear the guide rail makes for a smooth transition and it only gets easier from there. Going into 3rd or 5th gear it only takes a slight push of the palm and it slides into gear...

The best part is that you don't have to baby this shifter, it can take what you give it!

Reverse doesn't require you to push down on the shifter and slide into gear, this new design needs you to slide it up to the guard rail and turn your shifter into the reverse lockout.... amazing!

If you do any road racing at all this one is for you!

Kudos to MGW for what they've done!

Last edited by Widow Maker; 11-22-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM
rockhillgt
3rd Gear Member

the video explaining
Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Wow. Quite impressive.
I got in on the first 100 (Beta group) for the MGW for the S197 cars. I installed it onto my 2006 GT 'Vert and have never had an issue with it. There were a couple of updates which they supplied free of charge which just made it better. MGW really does blow everything else out of the water.
This new Race Spec just looks fantastic. If I ever get into the position to buy a new 'Stang, the Race Spec will be a day one buy.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 12-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Just ordered one for Feb delivery. I will be sending the original MGW back for the $200 credit.
Thank you MGW. This one looks to answer all the shifting issues even though the original was very good this is a superb answer.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:50 PM
RamblinEngineer

Just called them to set up an installation date as I live a couple miles from MGW. Cannot wait!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Kona_MCA

I just ordered the new style Race Spec shifter with the strut arms that remove any body mounting but was told it would take 3 WEEKS for it to ship out!!! Very nice folks and customer service is top notch so far. I contacted them at support to see if there was anything that could be done to expedite my order as I am currently having issues with the reverse lockout of the stock 'bowl' and American Muscle shifter and bracket. This may seem a little OT but bear with me a second as I'm sure there may be some who are on the fence about this mod due to cost, especially if you have already spent or looking to spend $200-$300 on the AM or Barton shifter and bracket that maintains the factory lower shifter housing.

I'm sure I'm not the only one but it seems as I have worn out the inside of the 'D' as it engages 2nd gear from side pressure and wear of the softer material of the lower housing from the radius of the lockout on the AM shifter. The Barton has similar construction and will eventually do the same thing. Not knocking either product and the materials and construction of both are great and I'm sure it was user input (and cheap as dirt factory materials) that caused the issue but if I had to do it over I would have spent the extra and not had to do this twice.

The stock shifter lockout is made of plastic and wear is not an issue, however, once you go to the metal piece it is only a matter of time before the harder material wears out the softer one. In my case it was around 15k miles of more or less 'normal' driving. I am a (reasonably) responsible adult and I don't make a habit of beating on my car and after a full rebuild under warranty I am not taking a chance of hurting this fragile transmission again.

So now it wants to either hang in the gate just to the left 2nd or go right into 4th and its starting to get dicey getting it into 1st instead of reverse and has made the car almost undrivable. I will have to baby it until my MGW comes in so the moral of the story is that if you think you want one or are looking at anything else just bite the bullet and get this one:

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79

Eat bologna sandwiches and ramen noodles for a month, sell blood or mow yards, whatever you have to do to save up for it, just get it! I wish I had...
Old 12-02-2015, 06:56 PM
tonosity

Default MGW Gen 2 Kit For Sale

I have a MT-82 MGW Race Spec, Gen 2, short-throw shifting kit. New in box. $395 + shipping. To calculate the shipping by your choice of carrier, the box is 16" X 16" X 7", and 15 lbs. My zip code: 93953. PM me if you're interested. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 PM
macman45
1st Gear Member

I love my third gen MGW. Worth every penny
Old 12-04-2015, 09:29 AM
tonosity

The new one I have for sale is their current generation: https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79. Bought it 30 days ago.

I was going to replace my Gen 1 MGW, but the 'Stang sold before I could install it. Loved the MGW so much, that when George created this tighter, smoother, more advanced version, I just couldn't resist.

If you'd like to see a copy of the dated packing slip, just let me know.