Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 GT remote start With Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Noob09

Default 2010 GT remote start With Manual Transmission

Just got a 2010 GT Premium 5spd all stock

I got two factory keys , one key has a button for remote start but it does not work.

Was this not enabled on the manual transmission ? Tried to research but did not find anything.

Also is there an app I should use for sync to enable more features or is it pretty much plug and play.

Sorry noob questions
Old 06-26-2016, 06:46 PM
JimC

Manual transmission won't have remote start, at least not from the factory. Some people have defeated the safety feature and installed it aftermarket; at least one guy found out that if you do so your car can easily start, in gear, and drive itself into a pond.

Sync is enabled. But you will need to sign up at syncmyride.com to get all the features. Given the age of your car you will need to buy that service. But there are features that work even if you don't have the full Sync - just can't get the Sync services.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Noob09

is it difficult to bypass the safety feature and get the remote start to work on the 5spd?
Old 06-26-2016, 07:30 PM
JimC

You don't have a factory remote start. Ford won't install them, and most dealers won't do so, because of the danger with a manual transmission.

So if your key fob has remote start on it, either you have/had an aftermarket one on it or a replacement key fob.

And can you bypass the safety feature, sure. But why would you? Like I said, one guy asked about doing it, found out, and posted a thread because his car ended up in the middle of a pond when the remote start allowed it to start while in gear. That is why you can't get it from Ford - too many chances of an unpiloted car taking off down the street.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JimC
You don't have a factory remote start. Ford won't install them, and most dealers won't do so, because of the danger with a manual transmission.

So if your key fob has remote start on it, either you have/had an aftermarket one on it or a replacement key fob.

And can you bypass the safety feature, sure. But why would you? Like I said, one guy asked about doing it, found out, and posted a thread because his car ended up in the middle of a pond when the remote start allowed it to start while in gear. That is why you can't get it from Ford - too many chances of an unpiloted car taking off down the street.
Yep, I remember that dude. Fought all the naysayers then like two months later was on the forums crying that the his car was remotely started while in gear, hopped the curb and ended up in the pond. Tried to blame the dealer but they weren't liable as the the owner had installed something not offered by the dealer.

Here it is...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...e-updated.html
Old 06-27-2016, 02:25 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Don't do it!! My ranger started life as an auto and I swapped it to manual. I origin ally installed the remote start when it was an auto. Luckily I always parked with the ebrake on. I started it once in the garage by accident and luckily it kept stalling itself out before it rolled into anything. Word to the wise DON'T!!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:16 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I have remote start on my Kia and have come out to find it running because the key was in my pocket and started it because of my fat rolls. If you have rolls like mine, don't do it...lol
Old 06-27-2016, 03:41 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Yep, I remember that dude. Fought all the naysayers then like two months later was on the forums crying that the his car was remotely started while in gear, hopped the curb and ended up in the pond. Tried to blame the dealer but they weren't liable as the the owner had installed something not offered by the dealer.

Here it is...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...e-updated.html
yeah i remember laughing my azz off while reading that, that guy was a grade A retard......bypass the safeties and blame the dealer lmao
Old 06-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noob09
Just got a 2010 GT Premium 5spd all stock

I got two factory keys , one key has a button for remote start but it does not work.

Was this not enabled on the manual transmission ? Tried to research but did not find anything.

Also is there an app I should use for sync to enable more features or is it pretty much plug and play.

Sorry noob questions
You can't look at remote-starting a MT car like you can a automatic.

First off, you'd have to leave the transmission in neutral and rely 100% on the parking brake - which is something I'd never, ever recommend anybody do as normal procedure when turning off the engine and getting out of the car. You'd have to bypass the clutch interlock switch, which might have consequences involving things like cruise control (I don't use CC, so I'm not sure how it would behave if it thought that the clutch pedal was always depressed, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't work).

A MT does not have the physical internal parking sprag, or pin, that all automatics have had since at least as far back as the early 1960's. This sprag physically locks the driveshaft from inside the transmission and is what allows remote starting automatics to be a reality.

Norm
Old 06-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You can't look at remote-starting a MT car like you can a automatic.

First off, you'd have to leave the transmission in neutral and rely 100% on the parking brake - which is something I'd never, ever recommend anybody do as normal procedure when turning off the engine and getting out of the car. You'd have to bypass the clutch interlock switch, which might have consequences involving things like cruise control (I don't use CC, so I'm not sure how it would behave if it thought that the clutch pedal was always depressed, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't work).

A MT does not have the physical internal parking sprag, or pin, that all automatics have had since at least as far back as the early 1960's. This sprag physically locks the driveshaft from inside the transmission and is what allows remote starting automatics to be a reality.

Norm
Nope, e-brake won't hold the car from at least lunging forward.

Even a sixer is pretty powerful. Happened to me many years ago with my 00 V6. Had my daughter start it one time and I had left it in gear, she let go of the clutch after starting it and it lunged forward, jumped the garage step, destroyed the steel shelves in front of the car and nearly punched through the wall of garage behind the shelves. It didn't make it through to the other side but, had someone been standing in front of it, coulda broken a couple legs at the very least.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT remote start With Manual Transmission