Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

2009 4V swap considering

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Default 2009 4V swap considering

So I have a 2009 with the Department of Boost supercharger kit. I'm starting to put together a stroker motor for it and am wondering what it would take to make 4V heads work. The reason I ask is that manifolds are readily available since the kit uses the cobra blower and I hate dealing with the phasers on these motors. Also I can get a 4V head for same money as 3V right now. Mechanically I can build the motor. But I need some info on tune and harness will the 3V PCM and harness run that setup? Also can it be made to pass an OBD inspection. No visual inspection of the motor just plug it in and make sure the PCM is happy. Thanks for any info. Cost wise it's about $100 difference if I build a 3V vs 4V (without PCM/ wiring changes). Just trying to see if it's doable.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I looked into it once and the general consensus was that the old 4V heads don't flow all that well to warrant the complexity of getting them to work on an S197.