Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Help: Pricing my unusual Mustang II (story)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 PM
riskyrain

Default Help: Pricing my unusual Mustang II (story)

Hi, scroll down for sparknotes if you don't want to read

I'm new here but I figured this would be a good resource for finding out a reasonable price check on my 1975 mustang II.

The car is currently not working, although it worked well a few years ago. The story is that my father had purchased the car a long time ago and my brother bought it from him and overhauled the engine. Then somehow my father got the car back and was replacing parts and renovating the car so he could give it to me when I got my driver's license.

I love the car and it would've made a great and extremely generous gift, but unfortunately my father didn't drive it too often and made the mistake one day of driving it on the freeway, not having changed the oil for a while. Needless to say, the engine blew and apparently there was a ton of black smoke. Goodbye dream car.

But my father took it to a "reliable" mechanic that my brother knew, and wanted to install a brand new engine. I had already gotten my license, and I was obviously thirsting for the car. There were other mechanics that could've apparently spent a day or a few days and installed the engine. But this guy was a piece of work: his wife had some rare disease and so he really needed the money. He was going to give us a bargain? and so he would only charge us $500 for the labor, though we'd have to pay for all of the parts.

So my dad agreed, because the mechanic really needed the work. But it took the guy almost a year (!!!) to install the engine. Not at all professional, and I kept telling my father that we should've chosen a different mechanic. But we eventually got the car. A few weeks later the car doesn't run anymore, and won't even start. But it's got a brand new engine.

The mechanic is just an unreliable, hard on his luck guy and though we tried to get him to work on it and make it run after it we finally got it, it didn't work out. I'm incredibly resentful towards him (wouldn't you be?)-- though because of his wife and circumstances I can't say I don't at least understand.

So it's been sitting for 2 or 3 years. My father got a $2k paint job (jet black) on it about 8-10 years ago. We also have another beat up mustang from around the same era that he used to use for parts. My father has since passed on, and now I'm in possession of the car and have no knowledge or money to repair/renovate it. Plus I'm in college now and though I'd love to just have the mustang for myself, I can't afford to do anything with it.

But I have no idea on the pricing, especially since it won't run, but has a new engine and other relatively good condition parts (and besides it is a Mustang II).

So what do you guys think? How much should I sell both cars together as a package for (the main one and one for parts)

***SPARKNOTES***
1. 1975 Ford Mustang II, 6 cylinder, Jet Black, Spoilers, but won't start
2. Another car from same era, beat up, but has spare parts
3. Engine is brand new, but put in by questionable mechanic
4. Other parts relatively new (dad put in about 4 years ago)
5. By new, I mean unused, since car was driven extremely sparingly
6. Body of car is in good condition (i.e. no dents, etc.)

How much is it all worth?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help: Pricing my unusual Mustang II (story)

When you say the engine stopped working....did it blow up? Lock up? Did it start spewing tons of smoke and oil from the exhaust pipe and then quit? What were the circumstances involving the engine just "quitting"? Is there oil in the antifreeze or water in your oil? Will it turnover at all? Need more info on the "Quit working story". You could get a lot more money for the thing if it was actually running....not running you'd be lucky to find someone willing to give you $1500 to $2000 for BOTH cars. If it looks like an engine seize up, it would be even less than that - NOW before anyone gets on here and beats me up - that is ONLY MY OPINION! I tell people all of the time - your used car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.....some people will pay more, just depends on who wants versus' who's got to have it. The "Got to have it" buyers don't mind digging deeper in the pockets. Guess the real question is - How long are YOU willing to sit on it with a firm price that YOU deem as a good price? I know....how much more ambiguous can I be? MII's are becoming more and more collectible but they haven't reached the insane prices that some of their other namesake model years have reached. I looked at a 69 Fastback that was wasted, needed tons of work, no interior or drive train, man wanted $6000 for basically a shell....I left it there with no comment other than "OK - thanks for your time".
Google collectible cars or antique cars, you'll find a couple of on-line resources that'll give a ball park figure prices based on condition and options....I found one that said low end resale was $2300 BUT that was a running car, Excellent condition was listed at $8000....big swing there. Good luck! BTW, I picked up my 78 for $500 - 2 years ago, PERFECT body and paint, minor interior work needed, no drive train in it and needed tires. Had been parked for 18 years. 78K original miles on the car.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Noticon75

Default RE: Help: Pricing my unusual Mustang II (story)

I agree with Wayne. I am looking for a II right now but I would be pressed to give $1200 for them. Also where are you located? That has a big factor on it as well.