New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2015 V6 or Ecoboost? Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Coyote5
1st Gear Member

I would get the V6.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:34 PM
rgingo

You are right..... I should have said go with the 2.3 or 6 with no regrets (the 6 is over $1000 cheaper, so an even greater bargain). If you want to go "premium" to get the wheels/drive-modes/leather/stereo, etc, then you would have to go with the 2.3 (not available for 6).... but it will be about $26K after incentives/rebates.

As for the 2.3 turbo.... well let's just say that I surprised myself in my choice for this engine (was gonna get the 8 before test driving). The Mustang was a bit more nimble with the lighter front end and was always ready to go even in too high a gear. That's what I was impressed with.... the good gas mileage was just a bonus.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM
swscoo

Hi-I went through a similar eval over the past few months-I finally decided on a Eco Premium and got some nice options-I have to say this-I love the 2.3 turbo. It is powerful, high tech, and yes-very Euro. Magazine road tests have 0-60 between 5.3-5.9. You will pay up for this if you go the Premium route-there is no V-6 Premium. I think you would be very happy if price is an object to go the Eco route with either a 6 speed or auto and still have a lot of car for high $20's. Either way-the ride is fantastic and the engineering is great.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Linac

AltD, welcome to the site. I hope you learn a lot here, I sure have in the short time I've been here.

Now turbo-4 vs. V6.... depends. Do you want to start cheap and have fun upgrading it yourself? V6 for sure then. Do you want an off-the-lot high-tech torque monster? Turbo-4 is the answer. You've said that you realistically might not be making a bunch of mods, so the V6 may not be for you.

Nobody else here has mentioned it so far, but the zoom-zoom noises played through the Ecoboost's sound system rubs me the wrong way. That may be a consideration for you too, or not. But be aware of it, look into it, and decide for yourself before buying.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:14 PM
AtlDesigns

Originally Posted by Linac
AltD, welcome to the site. I hope you learn a lot here, I sure have in the short time I've been here.

Now turbo-4 vs. V6.... depends. Do you want to start cheap and have fun upgrading it yourself? V6 for sure then. Do you want an off-the-lot high-tech torque monster? Turbo-4 is the answer. You've said that you realistically might not be making a bunch of mods, so the V6 may not be for you.

Nobody else here has mentioned it so far, but the zoom-zoom noises played through the Ecoboost's sound system rubs me the wrong way. That may be a consideration for you too, or not. But be aware of it, look into it, and decide for yourself before buying.
I've heard about the piped in noises. I haven't looked too deep into it but I've also heard conflicting reports on it. I'll see if I notice it when I test drive one this weekend.

If I like the 4 and I can get them down to 26 out the door I might consider it.

I like some of the premium features but don't want others. I know I'm against leather right now. I had it in my Camaro and wasn't a huge fan. Looked nice but was always paranoid when people got in it.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:15 PM
AtlDesigns

Originally Posted by rgingo
You are right..... I should have said go with the 2.3 or 6 with no regrets (the 6 is over $1000 cheaper, so an even greater bargain). If you want to go "premium" to get the wheels/drive-modes/leather/stereo, etc, then you would have to go with the 2.3 (not available for 6).... but it will be about $26K after incentives/rebates.

As for the 2.3 turbo.... well let's just say that I surprised myself in my choice for this engine (was gonna get the 8 before test driving). The Mustang was a bit more nimble with the lighter front end and was always ready to go even in too high a gear. That's what I was impressed with.... the good gas mileage was just a bonus.
If I can get them at 26 out the door I might consider it.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AtlDesigns
@bluebeastsrt See I don't know if I will not plan to mod later on. To be honest, I had a Camaro for 10 years and planned on doing things to it and never did, so there's that. And I know they will come out with more aftermarket upgrades for the 6 in the future. But you are right, I will get more bang for the buck in performance upgrades with the 4.

My only bias against the 4 is when I think of a Turbo charged 4 I think import. And if I wanted the sound of an import I would get one. The other car I was looking at seriously was the FRS/BRZ, so I almost feel if I get the Ecoboost then why not get one of those instead.

The one thing that bugs me though is how Ford is making the 6 without any optional upgrades. You have the std 051A package and thats it. They are forcing the hands of people to buy the Ecoboost if they want more then stock.
I currently own a 2012 v6. There is already a mind boggling amount of performance mods for the 3.7. A lot of people think import when they hear turbo 4 banger but I think it's just the wave of the future in all performance cars. The cafe standards are forcing auto makers hands.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:04 PM
AtlDesigns

They are basically reusing the same V6 engine in the 2015 that they have in yours correct? If so then it wouldn't too much longer that I will start seeing more mods and accessories for it then. Right now I see more for the Ecoboost.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:17 PM
rgingo

With the 2.3T for the Mustang (marketed as a "performance upgrade") and the same 2.3T as the engine for the new Focus RS... the V6 turbo EB as the favored F150 engine as well as the high performance engine chosen for the GT, it seems the Ford direction is most definitely going with this new engine design..... it kinda looks like they may be even be planning to phasing out other engine choices eventually to get their overall gas mileage figures better (except for the Coyote of course). I was there at the 1964 worlds fair for the Mustang debut .... now I finally got one!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:52 PM
AtlDesigns

Default Test Drive Tomorrow

So the test drive is tomorrow and I will post my first impressions after I get back. We cannot purchase anything until the end of the month so I will have a few weeks to make up my mind and maybe the dealership will throw more incentives my way as it gets closer to the end of the month.

After reading your comments and talking to others I am really torn. I have always second guessed all my purchases no matter how much research I did before hand. I do this with TVs, game consoles, computers..

Quick Reply: 2015 V6 or Ecoboost? Advice