Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

For anyone using Mobile 1 ?? This may SHOCK you

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Rik08GTvert
1st Gear Member

even though this test is kinda messed up cuz they didnt factor things right, ive never trusted mobil 1 and i never will. the only people i ever see using that oil is people in east side putting it in their broken down hondas. ill stick with my valvoline
Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Mobil1 here but I change it at the 300-500 mile mark. I don't drive much so I change it once a year near spring time
Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

some wiki info and amsoil faq

Founder, President and CEO of AMSOIL, Inc., Albert J. Amatuzio, was introduced to synthetic lubricants used in the jets he flew as a fighter pilot for the US Air Force. He later founded his company, AMZOIL, Inc., which would later be changed to AMSOIL, Inc., due to trademark concerns brought forth by Pennzoil. Mr. Amatuzio went on to formulate a synthetic motor oil for use in automobiles in a joint effort with the Hatco Corporation[1]. AMZOIL 10W-40 grade 100 percent synthetic motor oil became available to the general public in 1972 as the first synthetic motor oil in the United States to meet American Petroleum Institute (API) requirements. Today AMSOIL, Inc., markets the XL line of API certified synthetic motor oil [2] as well as many other oil formulations which meet or exceed current API requirements.

Synthetic oils are made to protect and perform better than petroleum oils at both high and low temperature extremes. That’s why every jet engine in the world is lubricated with synthetic oil. AMSOIL Motor Oils have extremely low pour points and flow readily at extremely low temperatures for easier winter starting and significantly reduced engine wear. At high temperatures, no conventional motor oil can compare to the overall protection AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils provide. That’s extremely important for today’s turbocharged and small, non-turbocharged engines!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Thats Old news,
Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Spoken like a true follower of the SPAMSOIL sect...
Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

chill. just trying to clear up my earlier post about amsoil and jet engines.

opinions are like...... well you know.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I'm a little late to the party but would like to share my experience with Mobil 1 vs Redline, though not in a car application. My other passion is high performance offshore boats, mine is powered by a pair of 650HP 502 cu in (.060 over) chevy big blocks. I've always run Redline however one weekend I was in a pinch and needed oil. Went down to Wallyworld and got Mobil 1 15w50, I have 14 qt pans on these motors. I took it out for a run, now if you don't know about boats they are propped so at WOT the engine will reach its desired max RPM and not be able to push beyond that, on my motors its 5600 rpm. Basically running the motor at full load. The motors are equipped with 2 pass oil coolers. After a 10 minute WOT blast I noticed that my oil temp was about 15 degrees hotter on both motors (245). The following weekend I changed the oil and put redline back in, took it for a blast and even at 20 minutes of WOT (5600 rpm) the temp was back down to 230. Water temp was unchanged at 120. (lets not start the battle of hot vs cold water temps).

I can't say that Redline is a great oil compared to others since I've only run Redline and Mobile 1, but I can say that Mobil1 increased my oil temp by 15 degrees. The question is why.

Edit update, I just wanted to clarify. When I added the Mobil 1 it was a complete oil change so each motor got 14 qts of M1.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 04-20-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-18-2010, 03:04 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I can't say that Redline is a great oil compared to others since I've only run Redline and Mobile 1, but I can say that Mobil1 increased my oil temp by 15 degrees. The question is why.
You downgraded from a oil that's in a league of its own, to just a good oil.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleen0101
So Ive been doing alot of research on engine oils and ran into this link, beware, it isalot of information, but if you guys care about your engines, read throught it!. But basically Mobile 1 did the worse out of most other engine oils half the price! This is what advertising does sad to say. I think im going to be switching to Royal Purple very soon.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
This may shock you, it is spelled Mobil 1 not Mobile 1.

It's a oil company , not a city in Alabama.

Quick Reply: For anyone using Mobile 1 ?? This may SHOCK you