Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Daily driver, and autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Default Daily driver, and autocross?

Hi, I have a 2005 GT and I am curious about autocross. Anyone here compete with the S197? What kinds of mods are allowed/desired and do they affect the daily driver status much? Where can I find out more about the competition class for the Mustang?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM
bigDFord

You can mod it so that drive ability will not be affected that much, you would be running in F-stock which doesnt allow many modifications. Even running in STU would be alright to daily drive, i think. Here is a link to a pdf of the rule book, if you want to know about allowable modifications, goto page 72 of the pdf.

Here is a list of the national entries for F-Stock
http://ams.scca.com/netforum/eweb/dy...c3ba2&class=FS
I think your car can be competitive at a local event.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:21 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Wow lots of Shelby GT. I guess as long as your car comes faster stock its ok, but you cant mod to be faster.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I dont see the link to the rule book?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
bigDFord

Sorry about that, here is the link to the rule book
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_R...Solo_Rules.pdf
Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Stock class is the easiest and cheapest class to race in and you car is still very street-able. F-stock is were the mustangs are classed, along with pretty much any pony car. The F-Stock national Champion, Sam Strano post's in these forums. The Shelby GT is the preferred model but the stock GT is very good and not far behind the Shelby. Guy's have trophied (placed) nationally in regular GTs.

According to the rule book the only "allowed" free modifications for stock class are dampers, not springs, front sway bar and cat back exhaust. You can also race on DOT approved R-compound tires; preferred tires are a Kumho V710 or the Hoosier A6. Sam runs on the A6. Autocross is all about the driver not always the car and improving the driver is by far the cheapest mod you can put into your car.

Send Sam a pm or call him www.stranoparts.com, he has a wealth of knowledge about suspension setup. He is always willing to help and offer advice; he has given me tons of tips.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! The Street Touring category looks interesting, as I wanted to add a CAI/tune to my car anyway.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'd be happy to help you out if you want to give me a ring. We have both a Shelby GT and a Mustang GT here. In fact a few weeks ago I ran my GT heads up against some other guys (fast national competitors) in their Shelby's and won. Is that likely to happen all the time? No. And the GT is harder on tires, but if the places you run are very slalom intensive or a little rough a GT becomes better and better relative.

The car is competitive in F-stock. Can be run in STX or STU if you want, or ESP. Reality is in the ST classes you will have trouble because there are cars with better traction, less weight and on street tires those are two advantages that are hard to overcome.

There are a number of places to play. Comes down to how competitive you are, and what you want to accomplish. FWIW we can setup the car so it's a hell of lot of fun on the street and the autox. Grip is grip, handling is handling.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Hi Sam, thanks for the reply. When/if I ever get up the nerve to give it a shot, I will post back.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

No need for nerve.... just go out and sign up for a day

I actually got my g/f out for yesterdays event and she drove her car a couple times. Was pretty cool seeing her plow through the corners, but keep her cool
Take your ride out exactly how it sits now and just get a feel for it. Don't try to keep up or beat anyone else there, just drive at your own pace. AX is a wonderful way to find not only the limits of your car, but more importantly... YOUR limits as a driver.

Do a search for local AX events in your area and head out for a day. Chances are you will like it and go all insane crazy with the AX bug!

Jazzer