Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

ram air

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 03:13 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ram air

I made a ram air kit just like you are describing for my '88 5.0 except I used some galvinized sheet metal duct work pieces and aluminum flexible ducting 4" in diameter. I used a 5" x 4" reducer at the fog lite opening mounted into a plastic donut ring which I pop riveted into the hole in the bumper cover. At the filter end, I enlarged the opening in the fenderwell for the filter and used a 5" x 9" floor air register with a 4" duct opening on one end and spread it out some to cover the opening in the fenderwell. I sealed this tight to the fender with RTV and pop rivets, then connected the two end pieces with the 4" diameter flexible aluminum ductwork. Spent maybe $15 in parts at Home Depot for this and it works! I picked up almost 3 mph in the 1/4 mile using it at the strip, so don't believe all the negatives you hear from people who haven't really used one! I don't recommend one like this for the street as it will be messy in the wet, but they do work if put together carefully.[sm=trust_me.gif]
Old 10-20-2004, 08:04 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I used PVC pipes to make one for my 240sx and the rain didnt seem to hurt cept for this one time the engine acted up and bogged down. I wanted fiberglass cause i can make it any shape i want basically , i still havent decided about a rain day plug , all i can think of using a rag and stuff it up in there some , any ideas yourself?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:52 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I've never given it much thought as I don't get to drive mine in the rain! You could maybe make a separator of some sort that would allow space for water to drop out of the airstream and the "drier" air to go on to the air filter and engine. if you came in on a tangential angle into a cylindrical shape with a cone shaped bottom section and went out the top to the engine the water would tend to spin around the outside diameter of the cylinder while the air would go up the center. you would need a drainage opening in the bottom for the water to have somewhere to go however. conical shaped separators like this are used all over industry to separate solids like dust from air streams in dust collections systems. some type of closable gate on the bottom would keep the pressure up when it's dry out and could be opened only when it's raining.