Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

divorced duals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

I am running divorced duals on my 65 Pontiac Le Mans. It sounds aggressive and you can hear the cylinders firing. It has hooker Super Competition headers installed, if it were to be running the stock manifold I doubt it would sound as good. With flow masters they recommend an H pipe. I think its just a waste of money personally because the exhaust sounds to even and people may think you are going from 2 to 1 and back to 2 for the dual exhaust effect.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I can understand the sound point of view, duals may sound better than the stock, x, or h. I was just referring to performance. I haven't seen any dyno results on the ford 3.8 v6, I have on other v6's all with the same result, x-pipe had the higher gain. One where the H had the higher gain (could have been poorly build, or could have been built better than the other x's)

I'm just saying as of right now there is zero information of true duals offering more power. My argument is on the scavenging effect alone. I've emailed quite a few of the companies that build exhaust for 3.8 v6's asking their thoughts on it & any dyno graphs. So far the only response was from bassani, but one company isn't really enough proof for me to stop there. We'll see what the others say aswell, others may have had better results with straight pipes. While bassani did say x was the better for performance, they have no dyno graph backing it up, so i'm asking further into it.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:47 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Well, Bassani and V6 Mustangs make a bad combo. Also, no company is going to tell you a product they don't offer is a better way to go. As of right now, nobody but MAC makes a bolt on V6 mid pipe do they?

Check the V6 section of this board, or any other major V6 Mustang forum. Unless the person is doing something over the top, the divorced duals are making the most power in lower/mildly modded 3.8L Mustangs.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

bassani doesn't make an x according to the person I talked to, but personally I find that it looks more like an x than anything. My argument was that I haven't seen any dyno proof of straight pipes on any v6 making more power. I have seen dyno's with exhaust comparison comparing Y's H's X's & true duals. In which case the H & true duals made more power in low rpm in comparison, but not in mid or high rpm where peak power is made, which makes sense.. there isn't enough exhaust volume to create a good scavenging effect, so the less back pressure the better. None of these charts were on the ford 3.8, even though the crankshaft & firing order was the same. Of course the cam will be different.

Whether or not people making power use a divorced setup or not wouldn't make any difference. That would be similar to saying that individual divorced pipes for every cylinder is best because top fuelers are making the power they are with them.

Again. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying of charts i've seen on v6's none of them has shown to make more peak power with divorced duals. If you would have had your sheets & the mid pipes were both made good, it would have been at least one. I personally am not one to believe what people say without proof to back it up, so I would say if you've charted better then you should go with that. I think people should research it for themselves. Neither one of us is more credible than the other. You have a shop that has tested it with no proof. Mine I researched exhaust & went to various shops because of the turbo & s/c kits i build, the knowledge was needed to make more efficient kits. We both seem to have reliable sources, but none can show anything. I could give phone #'s to various companies & perhaps get charts if they're still available, but perhaps only a couple have had experience with the 3.8 as far as research in the pipe comparison.

You're probably right, as far as this goes. I honestly wouldn't believe it until you showed me, even then I may not due to you being the only one that has proven otherwise.. it's still one shop vs. multiple. It's something to look into for the ones that don't know. I don't particularly have a high interest in v6 engines now days, I started with them & got out of them. inline 4's, inline 6's, & v8's sure.