Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Fobra
I agree... i would use it for safety, but using it to run an on edge tune is simply not smart. but its your car.
+1, when I was running meth it was only for safety
Went air to air and had much better results and much safer
How many big time track guys use it, zero!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
+1, when I was running meth it was only for safety
Went air to air and had much better results and much safer
How many big time track guys use it, zero!
Methanol injection is a relatively new trend. I imagine that within a few years we'll see a lot more of it. There are many practices that the 'big track guys' didn't use years ago that they do today.

I am interested in it as my father will be running it in his car. With his programmer, he simply hits one of his garage door opener buttons to switch maps. He'll have a map tuned for Meth as well as one without. The backup safety wont allow it to switch to the meth tune unless the flow sensor detects that the mixture is actually flowing. I'd be curious in doing a similar setup. While I appreciate the input, thus far only one person has responded that has had any experience running methanol. No offense to anyone intended, but on Hotrodders.com (where I am a moderator) we get one hundred responses a month of people saying "Don't run nitrous you'll blow your motor", and they generally come from people who have never run it, or never properly set up the system.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Fobra
Banned

Believe what you want, but the system can't respond fast enough under load, why bother to ask advice if your just going to disagree with everyone. Just as a side note you can got to any shop, any day of the week and look at 5-10 blown n20 motors. However, im not trying to be ugly, good luck with it, I hope it works out. Keep in mind there are other issues with meth, ring wear, hydrolocking concerns etc. However, with all this said, you would be using such a small amount and at such a low power level that your risk is considerably smaller than the people I am thinking of in this hypothetical argument.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I criticize the advice for the same reasons I mention above. If you followed 90% of what people say about Nitrous on the internet, you'd never use it. Unfortunately, 90% of people talking about nitrous have zero experience actually using it. I hope you can understand why I seek knowledge from people who actually have experience using methanol.

Hydrolocking isn't a concern. The mixture gets atomized very quickly and is in such small proportions that it gets toasted along with the air/fuel mixture.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Possibly getting a meth kit installed in a week or two. The tuner says it is extremely safe(deemed as the best tuner in st louis) and that the timing is only bumped up when the meth is being injected....anyone else have any input on this, my last tuner tried to sell me a kit, but i decided to try this highly recommended tuner, just to find out he suggests the same thing....
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

let us know how it goes. Much of the info you'll get here comes from people who have never run it or dealt with it. It's the same stuff you see elsewhere regarding nitrous. Fobra seems to be the king of cautionary mis_information in this thread.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 AM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

I've been running meth for a while now. No problems, why should there be any? You are raising the octane and cooling the charge. Anybody rember how to make your own meth mixture? Somebody said water wetter or iso heet I can't remember.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 AM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Sorry no info on making own mixture. My car is in the shop getting this installed right now. It should be out Friday or Monday and I will provide all of the information and results I have at that time. I am pretty sure the tuner is tuning my car for a particular brand of winshield wiper fluid(basically pre-mixed water/meth). You can also buy brand name pre-mixed gallons that I think are 40%.