Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Total Noob Question: S/C + CAI = ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
you'll get most of the power gain from the tuner because ford has a very conservative tune in the car from the factory.

keep in mind a tune and cai will be good for 30-35hp but are quite expensive. basically we are trying to save you from buying parts that will be replaced by other parts
Oh I definitely appreciate everyone's help with making a juiced up car without spending more than necessary. If it weren't for this forum (and REALLY this thread) I'm sure I would have one day modded it somehow, but after installing a cold air intake on the exhaust pipe and a supercharger onto the steering wheel I would have started to wonder why I wasn't getting any additional power. I've learned alot here (steering would be more difficult I think).

But seriously, If a CAI gives like 10ish by itself, and the tune brings that up to 30-35, the tune alone sounds like a better "bang for your buck," no? How much can it cost to reprogram a computer, unless you're all saying that the tune doesn't do much without the slightly denser air the CAI provides...(?)
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Though it doesn't seem like it would really matter. Like you said, if I'm going SC then the CAI is irrelevant, so either one would be a mod after all the other stuff we spoke of.

So I'm probably going gears first, maybe do the exhaust at the same time. Any idea if any of these mods will affect my all weather driving, like in snow? The ESC in the '10 does a decent job of keeping me on the road... I'm curious if any of these add-ons would screw any of that up. Hope not, would really like the extra oomph on dry roads. Hopefully the extra torque won't defeat the anti-skid control the computer has.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

well anytime you add power to a car you have to be more careful in the snow. gears are the same, they multiply the torque to the rear tires so youll want to be more careful accelerating in the snow.

like i mentioned before, you can get a tuner now and use the tunes that are in it. then when you get the sc, the dyno tuner can just load his tunes into the tuner you own so the tuner would not be a waste of money to buy now. most of the tuners in my area use the sct x3 but before you buy a tuner, talk to the dyno tuners in your area and see what they use.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

So I understand the numbers I'm looking for to boost my torque with a large gear, but what should I look for in an exhaust upgrade? Is there a certain number/configuration that I can be sure will increase performance (don't really care about the sound so much, unless it's just a side-effect of the extra power).