Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Looking for Right Exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Default Looking for Right Exhaust set up

I need some help. I am presently running this exhaust set up: BBK headers, Magna Flow X pipe, and Mac Cat Backs. This system is too loud during normal crusing and it draws attention to me. I had this set up put on because it offered a plus 23 rwhp advantage over stock. I since went Vortech and this doesn't make that much difference anymore. In other words, I like the loud deep sound it gives when I nail it, but don't like the noise it gives off when I just moving along normally. I set off all the car alarms in my neighborhood as I drive down the block.

Price is not an object here. What I am looking for is a set of Cats to go with my XPipe that are not loud during normal driving and WILL NOT COMPROMISE exhaust flow since I am supercharged. When I hit on it, I don't care how loud it is. In fact, that is when I want it loud. Any suggestions?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking for Right Exhaust set up

ya might check in to a set of three chamber flowmasters you should be able to have them welded in to your existing cat back and it will quieten the car down.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:58 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37

ya might check in to a set of three chamber flowmasters you should be able to have them welded in to your existing cat back and it will quieten the car down.
Hum, good idea. Never thought about 3 Chamber Flowmaster's. I guess my Mac Cats are one chamber. That is why they are so loud and set off car alarms everywhere I pass.

I will check into the 3 chamber set up. Hopefully, I will not have to have my computer flashed. I don't think the flow restriction will hurt -- although the dyno techs at Mustang Magic in Deer Park NY,have told me that Flowmasters actually take away a HP over stock on 02 GT's.

I can always have them lean on it a tad to make up the 7HP loss. I am running rich as it is now. This summer, in 104 degree heat, my dash light lit up because my left bank was running rich.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:35 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Don't get the flowmasters... they will still be loud @ 2000 rpms. Get yourself a Magnaflow catback. That's MAGNAFLOW, not MAGNAPACKS. They'll give you a quiet idle and cruise with a viscious cry at WOT. Also, look into some weld in high flow cats from Bassani, SLP, or Magnaflow. They won't hurt your HP at all, but will reduce your decibles quite a bit.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Cain8768
1st Gear Member

Get yourself a Magnaflow catback. That's MAGNAFLOW, not MAGNAPACKS. They'll give you a quiet idle and cruise with a viscious cry at WOT. Also, look into some weld in high flow cats from Bassani, SLP, or Magnaflow. They won't hurt your HP at all, but will reduce your decibles quite a bit.
i have magnapacks paired with a MAC o/r h and it has a deep rumble ( a little louder than stock at idle) and it is loud when you get on it. i have heard that they sound awesome on the magnaflow X, but i think for the sound and loudness you are looking for, go with the regular magnaflow cat-back.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:46 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

if you want it to be quiet when just driving normally, but scream when you want them to, then get regular magnaflows. or hell, get the SLP power flo. i've been itching to hear those.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:14 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

Don't get the flowmasters... they will still be loud @ 2000 rpms. Get yourself a Magnaflow catback. That's MAGNAFLOW, not MAGNAPACKS. They'll give you a quiet idle and cruise with a viscious cry at WOT. Also, look into some weld in high flow cats from Bassani, SLP, or Magnaflow. They won't hurt your HP at all, but will reduce your decibles quite a bit.

Okay, I just visted the Jegs website. They show the Magnaflow Catback system with 3.5" Dual SS Tips part number 642-15671 for $459.99. Is this the correct Catback your talking about? Also, is Dual tips two single pipes, right and left or is it two pipes right and left or a total of 4? I want two single pipes exiting the rear.
Thanks
Janine