Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

First Track Day on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

sounds good.

today i noticed one of my plastic valve stem caps on my tires was cracked, so i replaced all of them with metal ones, bought some of the 3M bright green automotive tape and am going to tape off the sections that rocks would most likely hit, got a new tire pressure gauge to take with me (lost my other one), torqued the lug nuts to 100 up from 90, set all of the tires at 35 psi (wasn't really sure what to set them to...), and bled my brakes and put in some NAPA DOT 4 brake fluid. i just feel like i'm forgetting something...

houstonnw, i think one of the guys driving tomorrow is going to lend me his SLR to snap a few pics of him through the S since i'm working turn 10, i'll try to get a few of you if you want.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
sounds good.

today i noticed one of my plastic valve stem caps on my tires was cracked, so i replaced all of them with metal ones, bought some of the 3M bright green automotive tape and am going to tape off the sections that rocks would most likely hit, got a new tire pressure gauge to take with me (lost my other one), torqued the lug nuts to 100 up from 90, set all of the tires at 35 psi (wasn't really sure what to set them to...), and bled my brakes and put in some NAPA DOT 4 brake fluid. i just feel like i'm forgetting something...

houstonnw, i think one of the guys driving tomorrow is going to lend me his SLR to snap a few pics of him through the S since i'm working turn 10, i'll try to get a few of you if you want.
It sounds like you're set. I take my valve stem caps off at the track so I can check the tire pressure hot as soon as I get off the track.

Thanks for the picture offer but I changed to Sunday also. See you there!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:59 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

On a brake happy track if you forget to turn off the TCS you will be buying new pads on Sunday...trust me...this is from personal experience...
Old 11-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

lol, i'll be sure to put a sticky note on my steering wheel to turn off TCS.

EDIT: forgot, while i was bleeding the brakes, i checked out the pads and it looks like i have a crap load of life on them, so i think i'll be fine for the one day. i do need to upgrade eventually.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Since you cant get a GCLock in time there is one other trick you can try. Ever see the rubberized mat stuff you put in the bottom of drawers. Like in a tool box. Its perforated so you can kind of see thru it and sort of sticky to the touch. Get a piece about the size of your seat and sit on it. I haven't tried it but know lots of guys who swear by it.
Interesting idea. If I don't have a seat by Spring, I'm going to give it a try. Maybe have a piece for the seat back too. I get tired of having to squirm back into position after long corners, even with the CGLocks (I have the "cloth" seats, not leather).
Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Tex - Sunday has been and gone. How about an update, how did it go?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

it was absolutely awesome. most fun i've ever had. i was going to wait and do a write-up laer today because i had one of my friends come out with his SLR and take some good pics. i'm gonna go by and pic them up on a disc in a little bit and then i'll do my report.