Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Budget Builder Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Seriously, I don't want to split hairs here. Why didn't I pat you on the back? Well, because I don't think it's a great setup and many folks take what they read on the internet and run with it. You know, "I read it online, it has to be true". I'm guilty of being pretty blunt, because I deal with this stuff all day, assumption after assumption, "I read this...." all day long.

I spend most of my time disproving what someone thought was kick-*** and it's tiring. So yes, I suppose I'm a little jaded.

Norm and I don't always 100% agree, but here we do. And what's more he's right on more than a few points. A car doesn't know if it's being in a competition. A 65 mph bend is a 65 mph bend... no matter where it is... but public roads tend to be in WORSE shape!

I get so tired of hearing that. Did I say anything about racing? No, yes I do... and I also drive my cars on the street all the time. And never has a customer thought I was insane--because I don't run my cars super stiff. In fact they tend to ride BETTER than most cars. I know my car rode much better with Steeda Comps and Koni's than it did stock. Not it's a little too firm because it has H&R Race springs which are very aggressive. But then I'd never recommend those for a street car. I can differentiate.

Saying I'm a racer so everything I do must be for that purpose is as silly as not letting an Electrical Engineer do some house wiring because you think he can't understand it.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

Yawn.... 2 1/2 years and 50k plus more miles and this ****ty setup is still holding up good. Might be time to change the dampers but it's more than served it purpose.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by javina80
Yawn.... 2 1/2 years and 50k plus more miles and this ****ty setup is still holding up good. Might be time to change the dampers but it's more than served it purpose.
You resurrected a two-year-old thread just so you could be a ... two-year-old?

I'm glad your parts worked out for you, and in an environment such as that seen in a movie like mad Max, where appropriate parts are difficult/impossible to acquire, your setup would be primo. However, Sam knows what he's talking about, and discounting anything he says about S197 suspensions with a "yawn" is - well - stupid. Just my opinion, and all that...
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

Ok... If that's what you take it for. Seeing the thread is more than two years old one might think that the "yawn" is for me waking it back up. I never doubted Sam for what he knows, and I never yawn at any professional.

I know who Sam is and he knows a hell of a lot. He has an obvious following. Maybe even some that are too tightly wound and think everything is a shot at him. Please, back off. I'm not insulting his knowledge. If I thought less of him I would not of recommended some people to his site.

As far as acting like a two year old? Really? I'm the one using "Mad Max" as an example am I? I just said my ****ty suspension held up and stated in the end that I am gonna be in need of dampers. Maybe, just maybe it's a solid asking for input? Maybe I need to ask correctly. Yes it has also served its purpose. I can actually spend a little more on dampers and maybe even some springs that are less "harsh".

So, with that said. My car now has 115k on it. Still rides ok but I know the time is now. What would you guys recommend for some decent dampers and springs that aren't as harsh but give a nice stance? Don't wanna be cheap but still budget minded. Thanks...

Old threads are brought back up. I don't see what the problem is here. If your thinking I'm doing it to stir **** up. Your wrong.

Last edited by javina80; 04-23-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Bad grammar.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
12GTPDX

Koni STR.Ts are pretty solid dampers that won't break the bank.