Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Q: Difference between Steeda Sport and Ultralite Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

What they are claiming has always been the case. I have both in stock. Seems that folks have a hard time believing what I'm saying, so let's think this through logically.

Some quoted numbers for Ultralites put the rates @ 195/175, though that's not actually the case as the working rate is higher and that number is a result of combining the soft take-up end with the stiffer working end and averaging them out (which isn't the working rate). But, let's say those numbers were accurate. Sports are 200/175 working rate. Same rear, 5 pounds/inch stiffer in front. Hmmmmm, does that sound like a spring that will ride a lot better? Now add to the mix that Ultralites are a bit lower, and lower means lesser suspension travel. So, riddle me this Batman.... how does that add up???

As far as reputable sites. Well, a company can be reputable as in not a bunch of dirtbags, etc. and be wrong. And this is where I tell you that the working rate of Ultralites is more like 225/200 give or take. Again, you decide.... and whatever you decide, I have both sets here in stock.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Kbreeze

Thanks for the feedback Sam. JJust an an fyi, this is a conversation I had with a Steeda rep thru email yesterday morning at work (He was replying promptly to my emails up until the last one I sent and I didn't hear back from him by the time I left at 4pm. Anyhow, here it is:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 12:41 PM
To: chris pelkowski
Subject: RE: Sport springs + Pro Action shocks/struts

Regarding the stiffness of the ultralites vs the sports, is it possible to confirm this with the actual manufacturer of your springs. And please understand I mean no disrespect to you, but per Sam Strano, who is highly respected in the industry, the ultralites are actually stiffer, which makes sense because the shorter a spring is, (shorter spring = lower car) the LESS room it has to move up and down, not the opposite. That's why shorter aftermarket springs are stiffer then stock springs. They have to be stiffer in order to support the same weight in less spring travel. Per Sam, on one of his forum posts, he got this info about the sports vs the ultralites direct from the people who manufacture your springs. I'm not a Strano fan boy, just trying to get the facts straight. Fyi, this info will be passed on to Mustang forums. This question has been raised many times with all different responses.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 12:00 PM
To: Kevin Breese

In regards to the difference of the sport and ultra lite springs. The ultra lites are designed to have more play and ride like a OEM would. The sports springs are more of a stiffer ride. That is why the ultra lite will lower the car a tad more. The 8215 and 8216 's are the same spring. The 5 and 6 indicate where they are located. Our Georgia warehouse or Florida warehouse. Strano is correct in the statement about the isolators. We sell the isolators for $104.95 a set (161-M- 1818).

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 11:49 AM
To: chris pelkowski

Thanks for your response Chris. I'd call but I am not able to at the moment. In the meantime however, I have a few more questions:

1.) Between the Ultralite springs and the sport springs, which offers better stock-like ride quality, in terms of softness and smoothness? There seems to be a lot of different opinions for this on the internet. Some vendors selling your springs advertise the ultralites as being the best choice for stock-like ride quality, while other vendors swear that the sport springs are actually softer. To me it would make sense that the sports would be a bit softer since the ultralites are 1/4" lower, but I'd like to know for sure directly from the mouth of Steeda.

2.) With regards to your sport springs, I have seen 2 different part numbers "555-8215" and "555-8216". What is the difference? The Ultralites are 555-8206, correct?

3.) Glad that you mentioned your HD strut mounts (part 555-8120) because I was planning on adding those. However, one thing I am confused about is if I order these will I also need 2005-2010 OEM isolators to work properly on my 2012? This is the note from Sam Strano's website for this part:

"**PLEASE NOTE** these will work on a 2011 Mustang, but requires isolator that was stock on a 2005-2010 OEM FORD Strut Mount, and is NOT part of a stock 2011 mount. If you intend on running these on a 2011 car you will need to buy stock 2005-2010 mounts from a dealer, or source some used ones"

Here is the link here:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...205&ModelID=35

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kevin

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 11:28 AM
To: kbreese@discgraphics.com

Kevin,

Good question! Yes our pro action shocks and struts work very good without lowering springs. We actually designed these shocks and struts for our lowered cars. They are a nice upgrade to the factory set up. However you will also need to replace your upper strut mounts with our 555-8120's. The factory strut mounts are already weak. When you lower the car, it puts even more pressure on the struts. Give me a call anytime. I can help you with your purchase and give you a nice discount!!

Thank You !

cid:image001.jpg@01CAE861.57CD6230

Chris Pelkowski

Sales Representive

(954)960-0774 ext 2113 or 1168

cpelkowski@steeda.com

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:

Sport springs + Pro Action shocks/struts

Date:

Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:44:05 -0400

Kevin Breese <kbreese@discgraphics.com>

To:

gofast@steeda.com <gofast@steeda.com>

Good afternoon,

I'm interested in purchasing your Steeda Sport Springs along with your Steeda Pro-Action shocks & struts for my 2012 Mustang GT and my question is, are those dampers made only to be an OEM replacement to work with OEM springs, or are they designed to work with lowering springs such as your sport springs? As I'm sure you are aware, shocks and springs obviously go together as a system and shocks need to be properly valved for the specific spring being used. In the product description for the Pro-Action dampers it doesn't say anything about being made for lowering springs and makes them sound just like an OEM replacement.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kevin Breese

Long Island, NY
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Dacam

I just want to add my 2cents.
I recently installed Ultralites along with Tokiko D-spec.
Im not a suspension guru like Strano but in my opinion, the Ultralites are softer then the sport springs. I drove my buddies car with sport springs and it feels firmer then mine does, especially when hitting extreme dips and bumps in the road. Not to undermine or to disrespect Sam Strano who really know his way around most suspension setups but to me, it makes alot more sense that the Ultralites will have a lower ride height due to the softness of the spring with the same amount of weight compressing the spring.
At times it does seem to bottom out on the bump stops, maybe not but it just feels like it at times.
I didn't measure the springs but please correct me if Im wrong. If both springs are the same height unistalled, then the softer spring will give a lower ride height when compressed. The Ultralites are about tad lower in ride height than the Sports.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Kbreeze

Originally Posted by Dacam
Im not a suspension guru like Strano but in my opinion, the Ultralites are softer then the sport springs. I drove my buddies car with sport springs and it feels firmer then mine does, especially when hitting extreme dips and bumps in the road. Not to undermine or to disrespect Sam Strano who really know his way around most suspension setups but to me, it makes alot more sense that the Ultralites will have a lower ride height due to the softness of the spring with the same amount of weight compressing the spring.
At times it does seem to bottom out on the bump stops, maybe not but it just feels like it at times.
I didn't measure the springs but please correct me if Im wrong. If both springs are the same height unistalled, then the softer spring will give a lower ride height when compressed. The Ultralites are about tad lower in ride height than the Sports.
That's what I am wondering is if the springs are the same height when put side by side. If they are the same exact height then I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it's that simple. if they are the same height uninstalled then it's true the ultralites would be softer if they compress further with the same weight. But once the springs are compressed by that same weight it becomes a new ball game as to how stiff they are at that point as to how hard or easier it is for them to compress FURTHER at that point. it's possible the ultralites compress more easily for the first 50% for example but the next 50% they could be stiffer. Know what I mean?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Kbreeze

oh and as far as you bottoming out sometimes, did you have a shorter bump stop put on (or maybe cut the stock one down?)
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM
workshop

Question Best way to level '06 Mustang V6... rear only solutions?

Recently installed the Roush rear-only springs which achieved a drop of .75 to 1 inch. Ride height measured at the center of wheel arch varies at times but it's 28 to 28.25 inches, down from stock height of 29.

Would like to level the car and get to about 27" front and rear. The front suspension is there already on stock springs. Any suggestions, better solutions from the Steeda parts bin?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Dacam

Originally Posted by Kbreeze
oh and as far as you bottoming out sometimes, did you have a shorter bump stop put on (or maybe cut the stock one down?)
I used the same stock bumpstops.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Kbreeze

I used the same stock bumpstops.
That's your problem, you need to either have them cut down or use shorter aftermarket ones
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

So you are basing the springs rates off of that? What shocks does he have? Where are his set (if adjustable) vs yours? What are your wheel and tire differences? Etc, etc.

With all due respect even the quoted numbers (which are erroneous) don't show Ultralites as softer, but the same. And fwiw, there are TWO different sets of Sports springs, and I won't use one of them because THEY are different from each other.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kbreeze
You will always "bottom out" if the definition of that is hitting the bumpstop. Doesn't matter if you cut them or not, you will hit them, and you will on pretty much any spring. The trick is in HOW you get onto them. Which is why spring rate, height and <drum roll please> the DAMPING matters.

Quick Reply: Q: Difference between Steeda Sport and Ultralite Springs