Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Q: Difference between Steeda Sport and Ultralite Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
LC06GT
1st Gear Member

I just changed out a set of Ultalites for Sports I purchased from Sam and the front stayed the same at 27". The rear actually got lower by 1/4" to 28". Any lower on the back and I would be looking for a way to raise it back up. I like the rake, must be an age thing
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LC06GT
I just changed out a set of Ultalites for Sports I purchased from Sam and the front stayed the same at 27". The rear actually got lower by 1/4" to 28". Any lower on the back and I would be looking for a way to raise it back up. I like the rake, must be an age thing

You need to wait a couple weeks for the spring pads to settle in and re-measure in as close to the same spot and same car and air temperature as you can. Even using the same spot or if possible dead level/flat spot to measure you can easily see that much or sometimes more difference in the measured ride height of cars with stock type rubber bushings with different air and car mechanical temps.

HTH!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LC06GT
Why? Were the Ultralites too stiff?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
LC06GT
1st Gear Member

Can't say I had any complaints about the springs. I wanted to try the non progressive spring. The smart thing to do would have been just change the struts and shocks. I have to back up, I changed out D-specs and ultralites to Sports and Koni sports because I could not adjust out the harshness. Don't get me wrong it was a good combination, just not for me.(my wife was never happy with this setup and the navigator has a lot of say!) Big difference in ride now but I will not know if the ultralites had any effect. I personally think it would have been fine with the ultralites but it was my decission to try springs at the same time. (not Sams)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Well, the first thing we've done is proved that the jibberish of needing to have a progressive spring to ride and handle well is just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

I think both things altered the way the car feels. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 85% to the dampers, 15% to the spring change (remembering I don't dislike Ultralites vs. the Sport version I use).
Old 12-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Jasongtcs

I realize how old this thread is but i have a 2013 gtcs convertible. I want to lower it but cant decide steeda ultralites or sport (specific for convertible). Which ones would be better? If Sam Strano could help me out. Its a daily driver, just lowering for looks on 20 inch rims. I understand its not gonna ride as nice and thats ok but hopefully its still pretty decent.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:36 AM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

sam which spring do you recommend for performance driving? I'm guessing the ultralites, but I know lower isn't always better. I currently have eibach pro kits and I'm wondering if a more aggressive spring would benefit me
Old 12-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone care what one random guy thinks? I doubt it, but here goes anyway ...

My 2011 GT was on Sport springs with Koni Sport dampers. It was fantastic! The ride was better than stock (Brembo car) when on full soft, and the body control at the track was way better than stock (around 80% stiff).

For ride you want soft springs with good damping - firm to control the spring, but never harsh. Eibachs with Konis are a good bet I'd say. Or Sports with Konis.

For control, stiffer springs with more quality damping. Straight rate springs are a must in my opinion. You simply can't have a rate change as you turn in to a corner. This will make your street ride a bit firmer, but the control is worth it. Here, I'll take the Sport springs with a good damper.

I'm pretty sure the Koni sports can handle the Ultralites, but the extra body control is probably pretty marginal over the Sport springs, at a higher cost to your street ride. Even on the track, you need to absorb bumps and curbs not bounce off them.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:14 AM
middieman147

Originally Posted by RWHEELS
sam which spring do you recommend for performance driving? I'm guessing the ultralites, but I know lower isn't always better. I currently have eibach pro kits and I'm wondering if a more aggressive spring would benefit me
I had the same question when I was shopping for my suspension parts. Sam recommended that I run the sports, but said the ultralites paired with Konis would still be an improvement. I ended up getting the ultralites, as they provided more drop. My race wheels are 18s(smaller diameter than stock), and I wanted to make sure the fender gap wasn't too big. Bottom line; both springs can be made to perform well. Sam recommended that I run sports, I ended up with ultralites, and I am very pleased with the way they ride/ perform. Hope this helps!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:29 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by middieman147
I had the same question when I was shopping for my suspension parts. Sam recommended that I run the sports, but said the ultralites paired with Konis would still be an improvement. I ended up getting the ultralites, as they provided more drop. My race wheels are 18s(smaller diameter than stock), and I wanted to make sure the fender gap wasn't too big. Bottom line; both springs can be made to perform well. Sam recommended that I run sports, I ended up with ultralites, and I am very pleased with the way they ride/ perform. Hope this helps!
thanks! I have eibach pro kits with koni yellows and overall its not bad, but when I chose the springs my goals weren't as aggressive as they are now and I'm wondering how much of a handling improvement I could see from a more aggressive spring. Plus the rearend sits up too high and I wonder if that hurts the rear handling since my front end is great.

Quick Reply: Q: Difference between Steeda Sport and Ultralite Springs