Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Books are cheaper than track time and can also really help you undertand the basics. Here is the reading list link

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...ding-list.html

Always keep in mind that #1 objective should be to drive the car home.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 04-07-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:11 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I'll be there driving a black C5 Vette

@#$% TURNCOAT!!!!!

: )
Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
@#$% TURNCOAT!!!!!

: )
LOL....the Stang is just to pretty to stuff into a tire wall. The Vette I don't car so much about. Although I am seriously considering taking the Stang out again for a day - stock tires, suspension and all, just to do a little sliding around.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

coilovers would be ideal if you were willing to break the bank?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Well, I priced some brake upgrades...MAN, way too expensive right now. Especially since I just dropped some numbers on my supercharger. The Brembo upgrades were way out of reach right now. I was thinking about trying to "squeel" by on some upgraded pads for now since I'm a newb and won't be killing it for a while.

However, as stated above, I'll get some track time first and then decide.

I guess I just had a hard believing that brake upgrades could be that expensive.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

You don't need a big brake kit, but you do need to CHANGE THE FLUID! Get some ATE superblue or the Motul stuff that brenspeed sells. I boiled my stock fluid at a circuitcross the other week with close to stock power levels and hps pads, and with a blower on a big course, you can get yourself into some huge trouble. Nothing is more scary than braking for a turn and discovering that your brakes aren't stopping you quick enough.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Stock calipers and stock rotors are fine for even advanced HPDE use. What you need is fluid, pads, SS lines and ducts. Those mods are in the area of 500 bucks. You can get by with just fluid and pads for a while and save the SS lines and ducts for later.

The only time you *need* those expensive Brembo/stoptech/willwood big brake kits is if you are doing enduros and longer track stints than the typical 20-30 min HPDE fare. They don't stop in shorter distances (if thats what you were thinking), thats a function of your tires and pads. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of reasons why you might want to spend 3K on brakes (parts longevity,brake feel and modulation, enduro racing, etc) but they are not *needed* for what you are about to do.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Further to Argonaut's comments a BBK may be overkill for you for a while. If you do decide to go that route then the FRPP Brembo kit is a pretty good deal as it also includes a good set of SS lines for all 4 corners. Rotors are also relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to some of the aftermarket rotors. There are a large variey of pad choices for them. They are big and heavy but that is why they are a better heat sink!

One thing you have to watch out for with any BBK is whether your wheels will clear.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

coming from the S2000 even the national champ used stock rotors and calipers with just new pads, SS lines, and fluids. he ate up the rotors pretty quick and would just get cheap OEM replacements from the auto parts store. that helped keep things a little more affordable as well.

I'd love to go to a NASA HPDE event at some point, already a member of NASA, just haven't made it out there yet. just because I've asked and read a few things myself I agree with everyone else so far. go out there first, see what the car is lacking the most, then upgrade that first. seat time will be your best friend more than any other mod