Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

UMI Bolt in relocation brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Default UMI Bolt in relocation brackets?

Does anyone use these? Any downfall to using these over the welded ones..I dont race my car. Never been to the track and I really dont want to weld brackets in if I ever get rid of it and wanted to put it back to stock..So the bolt ins seem much more friendly to me
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=319
Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

There are people running 10s with the brackets bolted in and not welded. Obviously they are on drag radials or slicks - and they are getting away with it.

If you aren't racing the car then why are you even worrying about putting brackets in?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

cause I still want it to be setup...plus I like to mod and tinker...doesnt matter if I ever race I will still do stuff to the car.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The UMI are a good piece. They seem like they may be even stronger than some of the other options since they use an extra bolt (dampener bolt) to help secure the bracket in place that a lot of the others don't have.

If you buy them have a rubber mallet on hand to help get them slipped over the mounts. And do things in order per the instructions. Line up the dampener bolt hole and run that bolt first on each side. You may need to do some tapping and adjusting as you go. The higher up the rear is off the ground the easier it will be to do some of this btw.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM
JimC

I have the UMI on my car and no problems with them bolted in. I have drag radials at the track and have been using the UMI relocation brackets since May so many launches on them already.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 PM
bloodybobber

I just installed UMI LCA relocation brackets and first drive results are great. There is more traction and wheel hop is gone. Great product based on first drive! Catch you later, Bob.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Same here, I did the bolt-ins brackets along with upper and lower control arms from UMI. I don't get why people are always scared to go with these. Correct me if I'm wrong but everything else, LCAs, UCA, shocks, etc. is bolted in. Besides, if you decide to get "serious" and start racing, you could always take it to a shop and have them run a weld around them anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
I don't get why people are always scared to go with these. Correct me if I'm wrong but everything else, LCAs, UCA, shocks, etc. is bolted in. Besides, if you decide to get "serious" and start racing, you could always take it to a shop and have them run a weld around them anyway.
One reason is that should the bolts in a bolt-in relo bracket loosen, the rear suspension can lose some directional stability (the suspension linkage stops being a completely stable mechanism when the relo bracket can move at all with respect to the axle). And that loss would be most likely to occur either at launch or on upshift or drop-throttle. Times when the taking up of any "slack" in the suspension locating linkage would have the most sudden effect.

A second reason is that while the more serious drag racers will pay attention to additional maintenance items (like checking vital fasteners for proper tightness, evidence of movement, etc.), the average guy just bolts things on (or has it done for him) and that's the end of it. Never looks at it again unless he's showing it off.

The third reason that I can think of is that although fastener loosening up front could occur, that's the end that you have direct steering control over. You have no such control over which way the rear axle is aiming at any given instant, once a connection that is supposed to be absolutely rock-solid, gradually (or suddenly) isn't.

Like I said, if you're willing to permanently add checking these to your normal maintenance list - and then stick to it - that's one thing. But since the human tendency is to let all sorts of things slide, it's too much to expect to make any blanket statements that bolt-ons are the answer for everybody.

And like you said, you can always weld them in.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-31-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

All good points Norm. I think I'm going to find someone who can weld mine in.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

i have all umi parts. look on the top front part of your pumpkin right in front of the mount. make sure your uca bracket is not rubbing on the little stub sicking out surrounded by little rivet looking studs. mine was rubbing over bumps and i had to grind them off the axle.