Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Daily Driver-Friendly Suspension Mods for 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Gonzo
Is there a difference in the ride and handling between the Koni Yellows and the Streets, or just the ability to adjust them? I really don't see myself going through all the effort to adjust them very often and there is a vast difference in price that would go a long way towards better brake pads and maybe some track tires
I cant verify this but several folks around here have said that the street versions are basically the yellows on full soft. What i can tell you is that I ran my yellows on full soft teh first month then adjusted them firmer per recommendations here and the car rode and handled better. IT's not hard to adjust them and if you go to a track you can make them what you wish. The downside is that if you want to do any underhood visual stuff i have yet to see any strut tower covers that will work with these things.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The adjustable dampers allow you to tune for springrate of whatever spring you're running. I've swapped five different sets of springs on my car and had to adjust the dampers accordingly for the spring behavior of each set. Either too much or too little and the ride goes to crap. Therein lies the value of adjustable dampers IMO. Once you find that sweet spot it's heaven.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The KONI Yellows also allow you to set them much stiffer for the track than you could live with as a DD.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I do have a 2011. I'm in the Maryland area fairly often. I know the differences between the 2011 and the older cars (I've had and worked on, and prepped, both).

I can definitely help you out, feel free to give me a ring so we can discuss your likes and dislikes and we'll figure out what to change.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
obofglob

Originally Posted by ShaneM
I cant verify this but several folks around here have said that the street versions are basically the yellows on full soft. What i can tell you is that I ran my yellows on full soft teh first month then adjusted them firmer per recommendations here and the car rode and handled better. IT's not hard to adjust them and if you go to a track you can make them what you wish. The downside is that if you want to do any underhood visual stuff i have yet to see any strut tower covers that will work with these things.

If you like the Midwest Auto Gear covers and call them. They can make the covers with a grommet that allows for adjusting the Koni Sports. IMHO it's a clean looking solution.
I have a set that fit well but they were cut out for the Bullitt strut brace, now that I have added the FRPP intake I removed the strut brace and covers.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Dr_Gonzo

Originally Posted by obofglob
If you like the Midwest Auto Gear covers and call them. They can make the covers with a grommet that allows for adjusting the Koni Sports. IMHO it's a clean looking solution.
I have a set that fit well but they were cut out for the Bullitt strut brace, now that I have added the FRPP intake I removed the strut brace and covers.

So.... Midwest Auto Gear makes a cover allowing the Streets to be adjustable?(just checking translation)

Ok, so I have a question regarding the order of things.... Can I start with just the Steeda Sport springs and work up from there as funds allow or do I need to drop in the strut/spring combo all at once?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr_Gonzo
So.... Midwest Auto Gear makes a cover allowing the Streets to be adjustable?(just checking translation)

Ok, so I have a question regarding the order of things.... Can I start with just the Steeda Sport springs and work up from there as funds allow or do I need to drop in the strut/spring combo all at once?

STR.T's are not adjustable, no way, no how... They make some sort of cover that still gives access to the adjuster on Koni Sports or D-specs.

You can start with springs only. But I don't really recommend it, here's why: You have to pull down the front struts to change springs. Stock struts aren't terrible in their valving (now), but aren't great and will wear quickly--even more so when you ask them to deal with higher rate and shorter travel lowering springs beyond their design parameters. Bottom line is you'll need better dampers sooner or later, and if it's later you will pay a goodly amount of labor (unless you do your own work) to install them as it's the very same work a second time.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The KONI Yellows also allow you to set them much stiffer for the track than you could live with as a DD.
At the track last weekend I tested them on full hard and after three laps came in and put them back to 1 from full firm Front and 1/2 from full firm Rear as the car was like a go-kart!