Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Road course suspension setup experience required

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

The trick with the yellows (and really any pad) is to compress your braking zones. In other words, get into the brakes later and hard. For most of the turns at Buttonwillow, trail braking works well with our cars, but everyone has different braking styles.

As for swaybars, I did mention that I run the FRPP swaybars. They are the same bars as the Eibach kit and what the FR500S cars run. If I were getting a set now, though, Sam's bars would be a no-brainer as they offer rear adjustment for the same price.

I'm tentatively planning on being at Buttonwillow with SpeedVentures on Sunday, Jan 30. Let me know if you are going and we can meet up there. Us Mustangers have to stick together! I usually like Saturdays, but I've got a prior commitment. If it rains, though, I won't go. I was there a few weeks back in the full-on rain, and while it was a blast, I wan't to be able to test out the spring rates and gears on a dry track.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

30th is tentative but looking pretty good for me too. I will let you know as it gets closer.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 AM
sv dave

We like you Mustangs to stick together, too! If you can get 5 drivers together for the event at Buttonwillow, we'd be glad to do some kind of discount. Feel free to email me if you think that's a possibility. dave at speedventures.com and we'll try to make sure it doesn't rain this time.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sv dave
We like you Mustangs to stick together, too! If you can get 5 drivers together for the event at Buttonwillow, we'd be glad to do some kind of discount. Feel free to email me if you think that's a possibility. dave at speedventures.com and we'll try to make sure it doesn't rain this time.
Thanks Dave! I have an E30 driving buddy who is also tentative. I'll see if I can round up a few more of the usual suspects.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 AM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
Get some decent tow hooks. I have the FRPP rings and they are light and solid. I put them to good use again in the rain two weeks ago!
Slaya, how did you mount the FRPP tow hook? The only one I see is the ring without any mounting hardware. I have seen it before but, perhaps mistakenly, thought it needed to mate with the racing bumper (i was also afraid of drilling the bumper and hitting an impact sensor or something).
Old 01-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm here.. I do think my bars are the best because of the adjustment at both ends, the sizes, and the fact both are hollow. I also have other options, and carry most all the shocks, springs, coil-overs, etc. that others do. I have brakes too.

I'm not quite 100% one stop shopping, but pretty close.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fasterplease
Slaya, how did you mount the FRPP tow hook? The only one I see is the ring without any mounting hardware. I have seen it before but, perhaps mistakenly, thought it needed to mate with the racing bumper (i was also afraid of drilling the bumper and hitting an impact sensor or something).
The ring is just that--a ring. You need either the brackets (which I welded to the front and rear stock bumpers), or the FRPP racing bumpers which have the brackets already attached.

I got these several years ago as a kit (front and rear brackets and rings) direct from Multimatic when they were building the FR500C's, and I'm not sure if you can just buy the brackets separate. I'd give Ford Racing a call--they are usually pretty helpful with stuff like this.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
The ring is just that--a ring. You need either the brackets (which I welded to the front and rear stock bumpers), or the FRPP racing bumpers which have the brackets already attached.

I got these several years ago as a kit (front and rear brackets and rings) direct from Multimatic when they were building the FR500C's, and I'm not sure if you can just buy the brackets separate. I'd give Ford Racing a call--they are usually pretty helpful with stuff like this.
I believe the weld on brackets and rings are also available from Rehagen Racing. You may need to call, I didn't see them on their web site but have heard several folks say that's where they got theirs.

http://www.rehagenracing.com/

I purchased the FRP bumper with bracket after an on track encounter with the wall. Doh!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Thanks on the tow hook info. I will make some calls this week if I get time.

BTW: CAI (Racer C&L with Bama tune) is installed and working well. You were right about the throttle response. I totally kicked the tail around first test drive out - it is like driving a different car.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm here.. I do think my bars are the best because of the adjustment at both ends, the sizes, and the fact both are hollow. I also have other options, and carry most all the shocks, springs, coil-overs, etc. that others do. I have brakes too.

I'm not quite 100% one stop shopping, but pretty close.
Glad to hear from you Sam.

I am in progress with my bolt on power upgrades, will do the next track day to measure the difference and then look at the next round of suspension gear.

Are your sway bars the stiffest on the market when on the stiffer setting? If not, what is the advantage versus a Hotchkiss, Eibach or Whiteline set?

Quick Reply: Road course suspension setup experience required