Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Replace sway bar = Smoother ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

gabb - I'd make the wheel & tire change first, as that's going to be where the biggest improvement is going to come from. Don't overlook the side benefit of there being less chance of dinging the wheels or getting pinch-flats with 18's if the roads are as bad as you suggest.

I wouldn't expect to feel enough difference swapping the bar bushings back to OE-ish material to be worth the bother.

Going up to a bar of slightly higher stiffness may not require a whole lot more damping to be "ideal", and being slightly "not ideal" won't matter in daily driving anyway. Even the definition of "ideal" itself is a bit fuzzy even when it is known that either ride quality or best grip is the main concern. Fuzzier still if we're talking about roll damping or one wheel bump damping, which may even be "ideal" at relatively lower amounts of damping than for pure two wheel bump conditions. But it's hard to completely overlook the effect of bar stiffness since up front even with the stock bar it's on the order of two or three times what the coil spring stiffness is.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-03-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
John@TrackspecMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by atldave
Jack, thanks for that detailed explanation. I don't think I've ever read it put more clearly. I've got GT takeoff sways and poly bushings and standard V6 shocks. Do you think I need stiffer shocks to even things out?
Dave,

PM response sent for this. I believe you were referring to me? If not, responded anyways

John
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by John@TrackspecMotorsports
Dave,

PM response sent for this. I believe you were referring to me? If not, responded anyways

John
John, sorry my bad. I meant to give props to your straight forward explanation for those of us who don't know much beyond the basics of handling physics. Reply sent.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I replaced both of mine when I had my LCA's put on, I think my ride is much smoother now, it may just be in my head or maybe more to do with the LCA's but the car launches better and it feels better in the corners.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gabb
I have the frpp handling kit on the stang now and changed out the shocks for STRT's because the ride was too rough. I was wondering if I changed the sway bars back to stock would that improve ride quality over bumpy roads?

The car handles great on smooth roads and highways but I don't get out to the track and my commute is now mostly city with crappy roads.

I'm also considering changing the rims to 18" with lager tires to help absorb the bumps.

Your input is wqelcome, if I had asked before buying my original setup I would have saved a lot of money that's why I'm asking now before I make any changes.

Thanks
How is the Wheel hop situation?