Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

My first auto-x and cut Steeda Comp springs report

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:11 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by azrampage
Allow me to add some additional input from my perspective. '07 Pony Pkg, 265x40x17 Star Specs (have also had SS*245's, SS*255's, and Nitto NT-05's), and autocrossing in the Phoenix AZ area (but it's a dry heat!) I have never had to water down the Star Specs. Due to the fairly stiff sidewalls I'm able to run around 40# pressure (give or take 2#) front and rear. Another local Mustang on Hankooks (255's) waters his, and has mentioned the need for higher pressures to help allow for the weaker sidewalls. FWIW.
Interesting. I did read the sidewalls aren't as stiff as the Star Specs but the overall grip was superior and they took to heat better. Its good to see some real life testing of them though. I've been lurking over at an unnamed forum that deals only with carving corners......and the guy who owns Vorshlag was doing some autocross tire tests on a 2011 5.0. He hadn't gotten to the Hankooks yet, but the Star Specs still appear to be one of the best tires out there.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrumck
Don't do it. The stock springs are too soft for that. You need to go with a stiffer spring when you lower the car to avoid bottoming out. The Steeda comp front spring may be cut on a GT because it is designed for a front heavy Gt500 and is quite stiff. This is only done to even out the ride height, not to actually lower the car. And this is already pushing the envelope because you change the geometry of the spring by cutting it. That introduces uneven load distribution in the strut and actually nobody knows what effect it may have in the long run.
Agreed! Don't using spring cutting as your main plan for lowering. I already had the Steeda Comps on there and was unhappy with the stance (call me shallow, whatever) so I figured I had nothing to lose, and at worst if it didn't work, handled like crap, hit the bumpstops, etc I would just get a new set of springs. The uneven load distribution did have me a little worried, since the part I cut off of the spring was the shallower part that kinda flattened out to fit on the strut better, but so far the D-specs seem to handle it well.....emphasis on SO FAR....