Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni str.t's installed! Thanks Sam Strano!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
CASHY

Default Koni str.t's installed! Thanks Sam Strano!

I have a 06 GT Convertible and had the Konis and steeda sport springs installed. I also got the Steeda mounts. What a difference! It actually rides better! The car looks awesome now. I have saleen 19'' heritage chrome wheels and they fit the wheel well perfect now. I will post some pics soon. Thanks to Sam Strano for the advise and not overselling me additional parts I don't need!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 PM
ryan1112

That's cool! Do you plan on doing any autocrossing or track days?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You're welcome CASHY. I pride myself in trying to get folks what will work best for their needs. I'm very glad to hear you are happy, and truly appreciate you taking the time to post that you are! Thank you.

You have to like a car that looks better, handles better, and deals with bumps better!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 AM
dan_h
1st Gear Member

Ditto this...i just installed my STR.Ts also along with Steeda Sport Springs on my 2012 GT....all purchased from Sam. Very happy w/results...noticeably less 'sporadic' over rough surfaces (which we have a lot of in the Dallas area right now due to lots of road construction). I did the rears myself and had a shop do the fronts along w the alignment.

This was a very good mod!

DH
Old 07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

These two responses are a HUGE reason I like to use the particular version of the Sport springs that I do. I talked with a man yesterday who has the same dampers, but different springs... and he hates his ride on less then perfect roads. FWIW, he has springs I sell--but don't usually recommend. He wants to change to something that will work better on a daily driver, but was concerned that he'd not see a change from the time and money. I pointed him to this particular thread, even before dan_h's comment.

Springs aren't all the same... they do work differently, and what seems to be a subtle change in rate can make a big difference.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM
LEXiiON

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
These two responses are a HUGE reason I like to use the particular version of the Sport springs that I do. I talked with a man yesterday who has the same dampers, but different springs... and he hates his ride on less then perfect roads. FWIW, he has springs I sell--but don't usually recommend. He wants to change to something that will work better on a daily driver, but was concerned that he'd not see a change from the time and money. I pointed him to this particular thread, even before dan_h's comment.

Springs aren't all the same... they do work differently, and what seems to be a subtle change in rate can make a big difference.
Hi Sam,

that was probably me. I am still undecided. I have the Vogtland GT springs with the Koni STR.T installed, and on small bumps it is fine, but on the freeways and beaten up city roads here in the Bay Area (and the issue is, they are beaten up here everywhere, not just one or two) the ride gets pretty bad. My wife (and my little one) don't even want to ride with me any longer.
The cornering is awesome, the look is great, handling is great, too...but the streets here don't match that setup. Someone wanted to see how effective progressive springs are? Here is a pic. The lower spring rate, once installed is not existent (see the pic- the front looks the same, btw).. so that's why I am really considering the linear springs for all future installs, no more progressive springs for my car.

Sam, once I made up my mind, I will order the linear Steeda Sports from you (and nobody else).

Thanks,

LEXiiON
Old 07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Hi Sam,

that was probably me. I am still undecided. I have the Vogtland GT springs with the Koni STR.T installed, and on small bumps it is fine, but on the freeways and beaten up city roads here in the Bay Area (and the issue is, they are beaten up here everywhere, not just one or two) the ride gets pretty bad. My wife (and my little one) don't even want to ride with me any longer.
The cornering is awesome, the look is great, handling is great, too...but the streets here don't match that setup. Someone wanted to see how effective progressive springs are? Here is a pic. The lower spring rate, once installed is not existent (see the pic- the front looks the same, btw).. so that's why I am really considering the linear springs for all future installs, no more progressive springs for my car.

Sam, once I made up my mind, I will order the linear Steeda Sports from you (and nobody else).

Thanks,

LEXiiON
Something is definitely not right there.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The spring is in upside down.... but that won't matter in how the springs actually work. And there is nothing wrong there, that's how most (not all, but most) progressive springs work. There is a soft end and a stiff end, just like a tender spring on a coil-over. It collapses and leaves you with a specific working rate.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM
LEXiiON

I was wondering that, too when I installed it. But if you read the i-net, there are tons of threads on coil bind with Vogtland springs. So it is supposed to be normal (progressive spring).

On the upside down, i think there is tons of opinions out in regards to this matter. I think it is not upside down, and here is why:

The front springs have a coil bind too on the lower 2 1/2 coils. You can't really put them in upside down, unless you screw up completely (as the lower end has a bigger diameter than the upper end)

The funny number on the rear spring 95084HA (HA=Hinterachse in German or Rear Axle) is actually required to be read when you bring your car in Germany to the TUEV and get your springs put in your papers (and yes, this is a requirement to keep the car street legal). That number is above the compressed part of the spring and in my case not upside down. So if you flip the spring, the number would be up in the chassis upside down, not really readable. I don't think Vogtland would ever achieve the certificate, if they couldn't read the number bringing their test car to the TUEV.

However i acknowledge, that there are opinions on flipping them and from a working perpective, the difference should be minimal.

LEXiiON
Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Ok.... It doesn't much matter functionally.