Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Does an aftermarket panhard rod make noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Just to clarify. What I hear is not a clunk. Everything is tight too. I double checked. What I am hearing can best be described as similar to tire noise, but only coming from the rear. Sort of a whirring noise, if that makes any sense. Almost like a bad bearing. Very hard to describe. I appreciate all the input.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The factory panhard uses rubber bushings and these provide noise isolation. If you replace rubber bushings with either poly or rod ends then these provide less isolation of noise and you will hear more if your ears are sensitive enough.

PS - try this on the UCA to see what effect the increase in NVH is.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The OE PHB also comes filled with some sort of loose material that is probably there for exactly the reason of quieting down vibrations within the PHB itself. I don't know of any aftermarket PHB that does, and with more rigid bushings or rod ends/etc., as they'd have more reason to do so from the noise standpoint. But the aftermarket mfrs probably aren't looking much into NVH, so they just lose the loose weight and call it good.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-28-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Well, I finally took my car in to a dealer to see what they think the noise is. They think it is a normal sound for the diff. They said if it gets worse bring it in and they will disassemble it to check it out. At least I have it on record now. All they did was listen to it and check the fluid level.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:39 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

I have a Freedom Racing panhard with rod ends on both sides. It's surprisingly quiet for what it is, but you definitely hear more of what's going on with the rear diff, rear brakes, etc. I had swapped diff covers and switched to RP fluid the same time I did the panhard, so I was a bit nervous that something wasn't right back there from the extra noise, but I put the OEM panhard back on and all was perfectly quiet again (or as quiet as it ever was). Given the noise wasn't obtrusive in the first place, the Freedom Racing bar will be going back on this weekend. Pretty significant improvement in handling with the new panhard; definitely worth a bit of extra noise.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

I have the J&M aluminum adjustable, and I couldn't tighten the passenger side jam nut at all with a wrench while the bar was pushed up into the bracket that holds it. I had to:

0) Put the bar on the car, but NOT put the nuts on the bolts, and make sure the jam nuts are not tightened down.
1) Adjust the bar as appropriate
2) Put the nut on the drivers side bolt, and tighten it almost all the way down
3) Pull the passenger side most of the way out of its bracket, and tighten the jam nut
4) Push the passenger side all the way into it's bracket and insert it's bolt
5) Thread the nut onto the passenger side bolt and tighten it all the way down (you may need a helper to "bump" the drivers side tire to help align the bracket holes with the end of the bar).
6) Tighten the bolt/nut on the driver's side
7) Make sure the jam nut on the driver's side is tight
8) You're done.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Spherical bushings can make a screeching sound when new, but it usually goes away as they wear in.
Poly bushings can make a strange sound that sometimes never goes away. It helps if the ends can accept grease.

Both types will transfer more rear-end noise and more road noise than stock.