Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable shocks really that big of a differance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I have strange adjustables on all four corners. They are excellent for the drag strip and I highly recommend them. I actually had much more expensive QA1s on the rear and replaced them with the Stranges and I like the Stranges much better.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:32 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

i know your car doesnt see much street time anymore but how are they on the street, do they handle fine
Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
I prefer "Buy once, cry once" Cry because of the price now, but be thankful you wont have to buy them after dropping the coin on a different set that didn't live up to the expectations!

Dampers are a pretty significant change. At least it was for me compared to the stock set up and it's not nearly as easy to change as other stuff is. Bars are easy to change, tires are relatively easy to change, heck, even a Watts link is easy to add or change in comparison to unbolting the front suspension (all of it) to change the shocks/struts. The less you have to do it the better IMO!
+1 - and the Koni Yellows are still on sale and in stock!

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5
Old 04-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
i know your car doesnt see much street time anymore but how are they on the street, do they handle fine
Me? My car handles poorly on the street, but it's not because of the struts/shocks. I also have drag springs, no front sway bar, an airbag in the rear right coil and I don't have street wheels, so I'm on skinnies all the time. All of that combined makes for some pretty terrible street handling, but on the rare occasion when I do drive on the street, I just soften up the rear about 4 clicks and it makes the ride much more tolerable.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks im still torn between the koni yellows and the strange adjustables, ill just have to pull the trigger on one or the other
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks im still torn between the koni yellows and the strange adjustables, ill just have to pull the trigger on one or the other
Yellows for sure! If you want handling they are proven to be handlers. They are the de-facto shock in F-stock autocrossing for mustangs right now and they will be a great base for future upgrades.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Wasn't able to test them on the drag strip due to inclement weather but I'll let you know how they handle on the track tomorrow (if the weather hold off).
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks, im just worrie di wont ever use them like they are designed and i would be alright with something liek koni organge
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Stuntman Mike

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
+1 - and the Koni Yellows are still on sale and in stock!

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

On sale? Yes. In stock? No. Otherwise, I still wouldn't be waiting for my shocks. I'm not complaining, mind you, because I have other projects for my car in the meantime. But I thought I should chime in if the OP's schedule is tighter than mine. FWIW . . .
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

If I knew what I know now when I was building my suspension back in 2006-2007, and all the items that are available now existed then, it would have been a lot easier.

In hindsight, if I were fitting out a 2005-2010 GT for ultra high performance street/basic open road course track, I would purchase tried and true linear rate sport performance springs, Koni Sport adjustable dampers, newer type adjustable front and rear sway bars, an adjustable (non drag racing) rear upper control arm(if Alum. DS is bought).

Otherwise I would still purchase the same additional suspension parts that I have now, since they add additional support beyond the major improvement from the above listed items. Additions were and still are:
LCA's
Watts Link
STB
G-trac bar
Shock tower brace
Front sway bar braces
Rear triangulated chassis stiffening braces(welded)
Front LCA relocation kit(welded), X5 ball joints, bump-steer(properly seated)

I would still like to add adjustable camber plates, and a front chassis brace by Pedders for Saleen.

The first items would still be the springs, adjustable dampers, and adjustable sway bars making the largest tangible performance improvement, the watts link would be another item as high ranking for tangible improvement as well. Erik

Quick Reply: Adjustable shocks really that big of a differance?