Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
You won't get any argument from me that the watts link is superior to the PHB, but I was countering the prevailing opinion on this thread that a PHB setup is "sh*tty and insufficient" for track duty. It is more than sufficient, especially for those with less experience who aren't getting 9/10ths out of their car.

I've actually had my eye on the Fayes 2 for a while now, but my driving skill doesn't quite necessitate that yet. I'll spend that money on more track time instead. The PHB seems to be doing well enough as my last event at the Streets of Willow I was consistently in the top 2 or 3 in my intermediate group. 412 hp doesn't hurt either...

It is a shame the Vorshlag guys quit STX, but they seem to be doing awesome so far in ESP. (IIRC they beat the former nat. champ one day with uncompetitive victoracers and stx setup besides wheels/tires, and they're considering going 345's in the back )
I think the watts really shines in transitions and fast ones which is why it is so popular with the autocross crowd and not as much the road course crowd. There are transitions on road courses it's just usually not as sudden as it is in autocross which negates the primary advantage of the watts. I love mine to death and even in day to day driving it feels so much better going over uneven pavement then the PHB did.

Vorshlag was running Kuhmo V710's IIRC not victoracers (v700) Slight difference there. I would impressed to see them do 345's in A6's rather than V710's but I think they got the V710's for free. Anyway, great for them, not so much for those of us looking for STX prep tech! Thankfully a lot of ESP mods are STX legal as STX is essentially ESP lite with slightly less power and wheel/tire restrictions. :P

I wish I had their set up and pockets, then I would do a blog/forum update thread on my quest for STX domination!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I've been tracking my 08 GT for 4 seasons now and have over 25 tracks days on the car. According to the data I'm running in the .9 to 1 G limit on some corners and am thus probably running at 9/S +. Fast enough that I've passed a few Porsches, BMWs and Vipers.

My backside is not as sensitive as I wished it was. I did not track the car with a stock PHB and PHB brace. For me going from a Steeda poly/poly PHB and Steeda PHB brace to a FAYS2 Watt's link was very noticeable. Particularly on "esses", i.e. a quick left, right, left or right, left, right series of turns. The car also felt much more comfortable and predictable which equates into going faster.

I'm old enough to remember the real Trans Am cars and they ran Watt's links.

For Auto X the biggest issue would probably be the effect on which class you run.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I've been tracking my 08 GT for 4 seasons now and have over 25 tracks days on the car. According to the data I'm running in the .9 to 1 G limit on some corners and am thus probably running at 9/S +. Fast enough that I've passed a few Porsches, BMWs and Vipers.

My backside is not as sensitive as I wished it was. I did not track the car with a stock PHB and PHB brace. For me going from a Steeda poly/poly PHB and Steeda PHB brace to a FAYS2 Watt's link was very noticeable. Particularly on "esses", i.e. a quick left, right, left or right, left, right series of turns. The car also felt much more comfortable and predictable which equates into going faster.

I'm old enough to remember the real Trans Am cars and they ran Watt's links.

For Auto X the biggest issue would probably be the effect on which class you run.
Watts is legal in Street Touring and above! The "Live Axle Allowances" in the suspension section are the same as ESP and if Sam can run the Fays2 in ESP then I can run a Fays2 in STX Bushing allowances are the same as well so no autocross class issues except stock which... well yeah :P
Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You guys do realize that blogging about everything under the sun doesn't necessarily mean that much, right? Frankly, I don't know how some people find the time write the books they do.

Regardless, I will point out that I had a very competitive ESP S197. I could run with and beat Madarash at times, and I was running 10.5" wheels, and 315's... and didn't have any ugly huge spoilers, or even a Boss let alone a Boss Laguna Seca splitter. In fact my 2011 was completely STX legal (no headers, no flywheel, etc) except for the wheels and tires. It was a sad day when I realized I had to sell it because of it's electrical issues.

Anyway, I know what it takes to be competitive, as I've won the ESP National Championship 3 times in 2 other cars. In fact the last times the current champion lost, it was to me. I had high hopes for the Mustang, and I'd have stuck it out if it wasn't for randomly cutting about 200 hp out and I can't tie myself to a car that's uncompetitive.

As for the Watts link vs. PHB v. 454.1 (or so it seems). There is no comparison between the two. I spend my own money on my cars, and I've had 3 Fays2 links between my 2001 Z28, my '07 GT, and then my '11 GT. I certainly would not have done that more than once if I didn't think it was well worth the coin.