Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

ABS/TCS Working? (No fault lights lit)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
devereiii

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Yep. If you had ABS on that stang the brakes would rapidly pump instead of lock. I believe the 2010 and above will pulse front and back and provide bias to each brake individually in combination with advancetrac.

If your VIN reveals the feature set on your car and it says ABS... something is wrong my friend.
---
My worry exactly... Even though I have no ABS fault light lit. ...I've heard that you can't have TCS without ABS; so I'm assuming that I have ABS. I'll do a VIN check just to be sure. But I definitely have TCS...

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

because you have the TCS button you should have ABS, I've never heard of one that has the light but not ABS...unless somebody just added the switches..but that would be stupid.

here's what I'm thinking. The purpose of ABS is two fold, to keep the car going straight, and to help stop quicker. In the snow, ABS will not help you stop any quicker, so lets count that out. To keep the car going straight, the wheel speed sensors will need to detect lockup on one side, but not the other. but cause both front tires were locked and both rear wheels were rolling the system didn't sense different wheel speeds left to right.

This is based on my understanding of the system and may not be entirely correct. It could also be that it is malfunctioning, like an abs sensor is broken, or both of them, or all of them o.O.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197
because you have the TCS button you should have ABS, I've never heard of one that has the light but not ABS...unless somebody just added the switches..but that would be stupid.

here's what I'm thinking. The purpose of ABS is two fold, to keep the car going straight, and to help stop quicker. In the snow, ABS will not help you stop any quicker, so lets count that out. To keep the car going straight, the wheel speed sensors will need to detect lockup on one side, but not the other. but cause both front tires were locked and both rear wheels were rolling the system didn't sense different wheel speeds left to right.

This is based on my understanding of the system and may not be entirely correct. It could also be that it is malfunctioning, like an abs sensor is broken, or both of them, or all of them o.O.
+1, but I'm thinking maybe the previous owner/dealership added the MyColor system on their own and just added the other buttons along with it? I have no idea.

What is baffling me is that the ABS sensors are also used by the TCS so if even one system isn't working then there should be sensor failure codes and check lights, but OP doesn't seem to have any.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
+1, but I'm thinking maybe the previous owner/dealership added the MyColor system on their own and just added the other buttons along with it? I have no idea.

What is baffling me is that the ABS sensors are also used by the TCS so if even one system isn't working then there should be sensor failure codes and check lights, but OP doesn't seem to have any.
Good point.

oh and on the subject of winter tires, I have General Altimax Artic tires. They do a good job especially for the amount I use them (November - March) and are cheap. i got them for about $100 a piece a few years ago.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

The ABS is triggered by motion sensors in conjunction with brake sensors.

Either of which or both could be malfunctioning. Or you could have a bad ECU. Which is not relaying the signals properly...hence, no idiot warning lights coming on.

You can find a take apart on the braking system online and then verify the sensors are in place with a visual inspection. Going by my experience with my Durango..the sensor for the rear ABS trigger was above the rear axle. Especially now that the possibility of electronics swaps has been brought up.

The VIN check will reveal a lot.

Enter it at this URL to do a window sticker search.

http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Numbe...cker/Ford.html

Then you'll have more info to go with.

As for the tires.... you need tires that will keep your car gripping even in below freezing temperatures. If you're not concerned about racing in the colder climates then a lesser tire would work as a dedicated snow tire, But I tend to go the extra when it concerns my life and putting it in the hands of a better piece of rubber...is just worth it. After all...the most important performance upgrade you can make to your car...bar none... is your tires. This is one area where going cheap really does translate into you get what you pay for.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 01-17-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:17 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

I can confirm that the rear abs sensors are not in the differential and there are two, one at each wheel just behind the dust shields. You can't miss them when you look at the rear hubs.

if you do need to remove for inspection, don't use a flat head screwdriver to pry the plastic back or you'll snap them(ask me how I know) instead use a vice grip or something of that sort to pull it out.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 PM
devereiii

OK.. I have to apologize to you all...

After work today, which is from where I was posting earlier, I did some experiments on my way home in the snow.

First, I accelerated with moderate authority, considering the snow covered road. My wheels broke free often and every time my TCS cut power to my wheels in mid slide and allowed me to "regain control" and straighten out. This was actually a more intense, purposeful, test rather than an accidental spin of the wheels and TCS didn't disappoint at all.

Second, and more importantly, once I got on my home street, I hit the brakes at 10-15 MPH, started sliding, and guess what??? ABS kicked in, instantly! My brake pedal vibrated like an angry cicada, but smooth, and once my wheels came to equal rotation, I stopped! In short order and in a straight line with no slewing in either direction! MUCH smoother than my Cavaliers ABS which in that car, felt like the calipers were going to vibrate from their pins. SO, for some reason, last night when I was going only about 5 MPH, the ABS ignored the slide. Maybe because I was going so slow? I don't know.

Either way, it worked, and it worked great! Definitely restored my confidence with the car in the snow.

So, again, my apologies to you all for banging your heads against the wall trying to figure out what the deal was. But I do appreciate all of your replies! (and tire recommendations)

I even got a TCS light that came on the instrument cluster alerting me that it was active (the car with the wavy tire tracks behind it). Kinda cool...

Best regards to you all..
R-