Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Buying a Saleen (What to look for, price..etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 PM
ChadsMach1

Default Buying a Saleen (What to look for, price..etc)

I am in the market to purchase a Saleen around the 99-04 model years. I have been reading this forum and just want to see what everyone has to say about things.

So far I believe I have narrowed things down to the 2002 model year. I really like the hood for one (picture at https://mustangforums.com/upfiles/64...341F8155BE.jpg). Was this hood only available on the 02 model?

How much should one look to pay for one? Do these normally command the full NADA book price? Does mileage, factory options affect used Saleen prices?

One member on his forum has one for sale that I want to check out. The post is at https://mustangforums.com/m_4243050/tm.htm. He says that his car was purchased with a reconstructed title. It is black on black with the supercharger. I am really in the market for a yellow Saleen, however black would be my second choice (and I could always paint it yellow).

I am just looking for others opinions about buying. I am not looking for a show piece, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty with one needing a little work (assuming the price is right).

Anyone have any leads on any deals? Coupes or convertibles, I will consider either one. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a Saleen (What to look for, price..etc)

Looks like your links are going back to the MustangForum Homepage for some reason.

The heat extractor hood (two vents) on the supercharged 2002 Saleens started as an option back in 1999 (I think). These were offered until 2004.

In 2003 they changed from a roots-style supercharger to a twin-screw supercharger. Therefore,the 03 and 04 Saleen SC'sstarted with a little better platform than the 02's.

NADA prices seem a bit steep still (keeping in mind, NADA is what you would expect a dealership to be asking for a car). For instance, my car's average retail iscurrentlylisted at $41,XXX. I don't think the market would bare those numbers right now (or at least I know I didn't bare those numbers when I bought it used 2 years ago )....unless you had a buyer that knew exactly what they wanted and didn't mind spending more than they hadto in order to get it.

Mileage and factory option influence price to a certain extent. The big ticket options (supercharger, brakes, Recaro interior, etc...) are the real price drivers just as much for the cost of the add-ons as for the enthusiasts that want to start with these items to avoid upgrading.

To get an idea of what you're looking at spending on an 02 - 04 S281 SC.....keep an eye on Ebay (currently for sale as well as past sales). You should be able to find a really solid ride for mid- to upper-20's (low 30's if you're interested in an 04 with very, very low miles). I wouldn't touch an R-titled car....just my own personal opinion.

I am really in the market for a yellow Saleen, however black would be my second choice (and I could always paint it yellow).
Get this idea out of your head sooner rather than later....

"...after all the other colors were created and their flaws scrutinized....they created a colorless, flawlessshade and called itBLACK" Famous saying from analmost famouswiseman dating back to 14-Feb-2008
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
S281SC
2nd Gear Member

Actually Mills, BLACK is the ABSENSE of color...
When you combine all colors, you get WHITE!!!! Just look at stage lighting...

To the original poster: Where are you located? What are you looking for - show car, cruiser, racer, or ????? What's your price range?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
ChadsMach1

ORIGINAL: S281SC

Actually Mills, BLACK is the ABSENSE of color...
When you combine all colors, you get WHITE!!!! Just look at stage lighting...

To the original poster: Where are you located? What are you looking for - show car, cruiser, racer, or ????? What's your price range?

I am located in Raleigh, NC. I am not looking for a show car, hot rod or drag racer. I am looking for something stock or close to stock (things like a upgraded exhaust is okay with me). I would set a top price of $20k. My color preference are either yellow, black or blue. I would also like a black interior. I don't mind getting one with some damage or needing work assuming that the price is right.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 PM
S281SC
2nd Gear Member

Check out http://www.performanceautosport.com/cars.asp - not just the website, but CALL Mark there. He's just up the road from you (Richmond VA) and knows more about Saleens for sale ( & prices) than anyone.

$20k will be tight... You're probably looking at a 99-02 car at that price range. You might be able to get into an S/C OR a 'vert with some careful shopping and a little luck.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
ChadsMach1

ORIGINAL: S281SC

Check out http://www.performanceautosport.com/cars.asp - not just the website, but CALL Mark there. He's just up the road from you (Richmond VA) and knows more about Saleens for sale ( & prices) than anyone.

$20k will be tight... You're probably looking at a 99-02 car at that price range. You might be able to get into an S/C OR a 'vert with some careful shopping and a little luck.
A 99-02 model would be fine to me. I prefer a coupe (but again, would be interested in others), with no preference on a supercharger or not.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
S281SC
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you're pretty flexible other than color choices... that should help open up some good options for you.
Buy the best car you can afford - fixing previous problems ALWAYS ends up costing more than you expect.

Seriously, call Mark - he's only 2-3 hours from you and is one of the best Saleen resources available nationwide!
You might also check out www.saleenclubofamerica.com - bunch of good guys in that club and on that forum as well.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

+1 on calling Mark at PAS
Old 02-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Boostin S281
1st Gear Member

I'll sell you my 2000 if you're interested... I keep actually going back and forth wheather to sell it or not.
It has 17k miles on it, New tires, pulley, svt focus pump, 3.71 gears, some other goodies.

It's an awsome car.

http://forums.stlmustangs.com/index....owtopic=102736

New price at the bottom.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
ChadsMach1

ORIGINAL: Boostin S281

I'll sell you my 2000 if you're interested... I keep actually going back and forth wheather to sell it or not.
It has 17k miles on it, New tires, pulley, svt focus pump, 3.71 gears, some other goodies.

It's an awsome car.

http://forums.stlmustangs.com/index....owtopic=102736

New price at the bottom.
I may be, do you have a selling price in mind? Also, where are you located?