Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

buying a saleen????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 AM
princessturtle
1st Gear Member

yups and thx. =)

now all i have to do is sell some of the left over mustang parts i have and order a new car. =)))
Old 09-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by abbas
Do not go thru a dealership, buy the car new from a car broker. It will save $$$ over MSRP even on the Extreme. I can email the info on car broker if you are interested.
A car broker IS going through a standard automotive dealer, all they do is negotiate for you then tack on their fee.

Either way I'm pretty sure a dealer that is making maybe $20 from a sale as a courtesy to cover the time (me) is miles cheaper than a dealer who's making a standard "minimum deal" and there is a standard minimum deal because i just brought this up in conversation with my friend pat for this thread. basically what happens is:

-the car comes at it's standard "cost", first it's assessed an "assets holdback fee" i think, it's a little confusing, this is bassically a fee paid on every car at the dealership which covers the dealership's general financing budget for while the products being shown there have been paid for, but not sold to anyone yet. Every car contributes and its non-negotiable. its around $600 and goes to the dealer's lender.

- a standard work fee is assessed (covers 20 hours of sales, financing and cleaning labor). $500. (this fee is sometimes removed or inflated if a car has been sitting, to cut losses, or to cover them, sometimes 20 extra hours of test driving and re-detailing can go into a sitting car, this is where dealers throwing cars away cut sale price.)

- Then comes the minimum gross profit. On a Focus, the bare minimum is as low as $100, on a $90,000 truck (f-650) it about $700.

After that then broker adds on their fee ($300). The best rated company which does this car brokering according to BBB charges $600 with a $200 non-refundable retainer, btw, as their profit

if you go to 25 dealerships and ask for a minimum deal on an Saleen order with the above numbers, one will give it to you guranteed.

Last edited by Legion5; 09-08-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 PM
AL_TOON
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikebna
if you like pink saleens, you will probably like this site------

http://www.molly-pop.com/

mike
isnt that car going to be in the new fast and furious?

i have seen that car out before.... i thought wow my eyes are messed up lol. not a stock color
Old 09-08-2008, 03:17 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

molly pops car is not supposed to be in FF4
Old 09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
JoeTheSlacker

Do not go thru a dealership, buy the car new from a car broker. It will save $$$ over MSRP even on the Extreme. I can email the info on car broker if you are interested.
That is pretty much the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life... congrats, that is a good achievement for you to have attained.

Where do you think the broker gets the car from?

Originally Posted by princessturtle
so i sold my stangie =( but i'm hoping to pick up a saleen soon. i saw that they had a 302 extreme(like 600+HP). but i have no clue on the process of buying one. i want it tobe a certain white (white with pink ghost pearl overlay) and all the dealerships will tell me is that's possible, anythings possible.

can any1 here share their experience with buying one? plzzzzzz

If you want a deal on a Saleen it's going to be just like getting a deal on anything else you buy. You are just going to have to do some leg work and compare prices. Talk to people.

Call or email some Saleen dealerships and talk to the person at the dealership that is in charge of the cars. Heck, you can call or email me and I will work something through my dealership and tell you what I can or can't do.

Your problem with the paint job is going to be the labor. The main reason that Saleen's custom paint options are so expensive is because of all the labor that is involved, the car is taken down to it's bare shell basically.

PM me your email address and I will send you an order/pricing guide. You can spec the car out yourself. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Last edited by JoeTheSlacker; 09-08-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
jbbbeard

The Cadillac Escalade is painted in the color I think you refer to. It's called diamond white pearl. Yet in the sun it has hints of pink shades to it. It's a sweet looking color.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM
abbas
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoeTheSlacker
That is pretty much the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life... congrats, that is a good achievement for you to have attained.

Where do you think the broker gets the car from?

I guess you have had a pretty short life then

You are right that they do work with the dealership. They generally work with the fleet manager.

I use to think the same way you did until I used Cartelligent.com. I was recommended to them by a guy who is a car nut. He has bought an M5, 330 convertible, and 911 Turbo from these guys and has saved $$$.

The reason I went to them was that I was trying to buy a GT500 for MSRP or $5k over MSRP when they first came out. These guys could not even get me that kind of a deal. So then I started looking at the Extremes. I had visited 3 local dealerships and 1 in MN (I was visiting my parents). They all had given me more or less the same answer that since the car is not built, there is no reason to give me any kind of a discount. $200 off was the best that I was offered.

Cartelligent saved me $5k over MSRP on a car that was not even built yet. That is not a joke. They did work with the dealership and Saleen. When I went to the dealership to see my car, all the sales guys were stumped on how I saved this much money. They went on to say that even with their employee discounts, they were not going to save this much.

Personally, I dont care if anyone uses them. Be my guests and pay more money elsewhere. I am just saying that if you want to save some cash, I would recommend them.

Do your own test, go to some dealerships and get a price on a car and then call these guys and compare.

Luckily for me, when I bought the car, Ford even had their $0 down with 0% financing deal so I got that deal too.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

The reason I went to them was that I was trying to buy a GT500 for MSRP or $5k over MSRP when they first came out. These guys could not even get me that kind of a deal. So then I started looking at the Extremes.
A quick hijack of this thread.

The only reason I even started looking at Saleens was because I spent a year trying to get a GT500 at MSRP but couldn't find one that cheap (this was mid-2006). So I figured, if I'm going to spend an extra $10k, I want that money going towards more performance, not just $$$ into the dealership's pocket.

I wonder how many recent Saleen buyers turned to Saleen because of dealer markups on Shelby GT500s...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by elburrito99
A quick hijack of this thread.

The only reason I even started looking at Saleens was because I spent a year trying to get a GT500 at MSRP but couldn't find one that cheap (this was mid-2006). So I figured, if I'm going to spend an extra $10k, I want that money going towards more performance, not just $$$ into the dealership's pocket.

I wonder how many recent Saleen buyers turned to Saleen because of dealer markups on Shelby GT500s...
Include me in that group. I was seriously interested in a new GT500, vapor w/ charcoal stripes. The dealership wanted MSRP + $10k. They wouldn't budge. So, I went elsewhere and bought my Saleen.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 AM
JoeTheSlacker

You are right that they do work with the dealership. They generally work with the fleet manager.

I use to think the same way you did until I used Cartelligent.com. I was recommended to them by a guy who is a car nut. He has bought an M5, 330 convertible, and 911 Turbo from these guys and has saved $$$.

The reason I went to them was that I was trying to buy a GT500 for MSRP or $5k over MSRP when they first came out. These guys could not even get me that kind of a deal. So then I started looking at the Extremes. I had visited 3 local dealerships and 1 in MN (I was visiting my parents). They all had given me more or less the same answer that since the car is not built, there is no reason to give me any kind of a discount. $200 off was the best that I was offered.

Cartelligent saved me $5k over MSRP on a car that was not even built yet. That is not a joke. They did work with the dealership and Saleen. When I went to the dealership to see my car, all the sales guys were stumped on how I saved this much money. They went on to say that even with their employee discounts, they were not going to save this much.

Personally, I dont care if anyone uses them. Be my guests and pay more money elsewhere. I am just saying that if you want to save some cash, I would recommend them.

Do your own test, go to some dealerships and get a price on a car and then call these guys and compare.

Luckily for me, when I bought the car, Ford even had their $0 down with 0% financing deal so I got that deal too.

You really have no clue. Dude... I work at a freaking dealership, which is a Saleen dealership. I came from a dealership that sold just about every performance brand you can think of when it came to Mustangs. I have even sold cars to brokers. Hell, another poster just listed you everything that is included with the fees involved with using brokers.

If you got it through a broker.. then I promise you this... there was a dealer that would have sold it to you cheaper. Why? Because they sold it to the broker and the broker marked it up with their profit and fees.

Hell, you even proved me right already when you said the broker couldn't find a dealer that they could get you a GT 500 through. That should show you right there!

Obviously the dealerships you visited are run by idiots. Personally, when we have a sold retail order then we take a deposit and agree to a lower sale price because the car is already sold when it gets here and it won't be on floor plan. You just didn't do enough homework on actually buying a car and the salesmen you talked apparently have no clue or they get screwed by the place they work at. Because they COULD buy it cheaper.

Why do I say this? There is MORE than 5k mark-up on a SC car.... SOOOooo if you bought an Extreme... well, the higher car you go the more mark-up there is. Someone still made a NICE profit off of you and he didn't come out quite as good as you are bragging you did. Of course if the dealer even dropped shipped the base car to Saleen then they also made the holdback on the car... which added even more profit to the deal. And by profit I don't mean a few hundred dollars here or there...

Next time do some REAL homework. Yes, it is time consuming... yes it is a pain in the @$$, but it will pay off in the long run.

Yes, you did get a deal in a car, but not the deal you thought. Trust me, you could have gotten a dealer to give you a better one.

Ha... Yep. 28 short years... BUT the point I am making is that I have seen and heard a LOT of stupid things in my 28 years... and you topped it all.

Quick Reply: buying a saleen????