Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

2011 Shelby or Roush stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Boss Hoss Rider

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Congrats! As for mods, seems to me you're set up very well from the factory. But for suggestions... I'm not sure how light weight the wheels are on your Shelby, but I can tell you when I went from cast wheels (33 lbs.) to forged wheels (28 lbs.), there was a notable difference in performance due to less rotating mass.
I will agree the Shelby is set up very nice from the factory BUT, I always need to be the biggest, baddest, fastest, loudest one out there. Judging by some on this forum that's probably not going to happen (fastest, loudest). But what about a performance pulley, idler, plugs, filter upgrade, etc. What about the exhaust. The car sounds great and the whine sounds great when I'm driving but, when I listened to my wife drive (so I could hear what it really sounded like) I wasn't that impressed. Any recommended axle backs or cat backs I should seriously look at? Dumb question here but, I'll ask. Does my car have headers? Haven't had it up on a lift yet to see what's all underneath and you can't tell from the engine compartment. Any suggestions on anything would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM
LovinLife
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss Hoss Rider
I will agree the Shelby is set up very nice from the factory BUT, I always need to be the biggest, baddest, fastest, loudest one out there. Judging by some on this forum that's probably not going to happen (fastest, loudest). But what about a performance pulley, idler, plugs, filter upgrade, etc. What about the exhaust. The car sounds great and the whine sounds great when I'm driving but, when I listened to my wife drive (so I could hear what it really sounded like) I wasn't that impressed. Any recommended axle backs or cat backs I should seriously look at? Dumb question here but, I'll ask. Does my car have headers? Haven't had it up on a lift yet to see what's all underneath and you can't tell from the engine compartment. Any suggestions on anything would be appreciated.
If this is the case you should quit with the hobby stuff and pick up the big motor from the 2010 Cobra Jet. They put down over 1000hp at the rear tires. Start out with a 4L Whipple and that should get you going.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Boss Hoss Rider

Originally Posted by LovinLife
If this is the case you should quit with the hobby stuff and pick up the big motor from the 2010 Cobra Jet. They put down over 1000hp at the rear tires. Start out with a 4L Whipple and that should get you going.
Good Lord I'm just looking for simple, intelligent suggestions. I'm an old dog that's tough to teach new tricks. My last car had a carburetor. I'm not real mechanical either. Fortunately, I've got some friends that will help me. Pick up the big motor from the 2010 Cobra Jet and drop in a 4L Whipple? I don't even know wtf you're talking about. Are you suggesting a different engine for my 2011 Shelby? Why go for the 2010 engine? Why not a 2012 engine from Boeing or Lockheed?
I guess I'll try another thread...unless somebody else has other ideas. Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 AM
LovinLife
1st Gear Member

Good Lord I'm just looking for simple, intelligent suggestions. I'm an old dog that's tough to teach new tricks. My last car had a carburetor. I'm not real mechanical either. Fortunately, I've got some friends that will help me. Pick up the big motor from the 2010 Cobra Jet and drop in a 4L Whipple? I don't even know wtf you're talking about. Are you suggesting a different engine for my 2011 Shelby? Why go for the 2010 engine? Why not a 2012 engine from Boeing or Lockheed?
I think your block is the similar if not the same as the 2010 CobraJet which is nearly the same as the 2005-2006 Ford GT. Just saying if you have a need to be the biggest and baddest there is some work to do. IMO the car is an awesome package as provided by the factory. Is your intent to do baseline and after dyno testing to prove out the additions or just put them on and talk about them?

The Boeing or Lockheed options may not be bad choices depending on whether or not you need the extra seats to carry passengers. Those engines tend to be quite large be efficient none the less. 2012 is a bit far out so hard to tell what will be available.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Biggest and baddest isn't a goal I would ever try for again. Make a car that is fun to drive and call it a day.

I wasted 2 years and way too much money in the race to be the first V6 Mustang over 600 rwhp several years ago. Now there are 600hp V6 cars all over. I've settled for a couple of cars that make me happy.

Enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 PM
LovinLife
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Biggest and baddest isn't a goal I would ever try for again. Make a car that is fun to drive and call it a day.

I wasted 2 years and way too much money in the race to be the first V6 Mustang over 600 rwhp several years ago. Now there are 600hp V6 cars all over. I've settled for a couple of cars that make me happy.

Enjoy your new ride.
I'm with you LilRoush. I settled on a Porsche 911 and although it isn't anywhere near the fastest car it certainly feels rewarding to drive it everytime I get behind the wheel. We both know that the title biggest and baddest is a title that lasts for about 5 minutes before something else comes along. That said for a factory package-although not quite street legal- the CobraJet is pretty damn awesome.

Happy Motoring!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:31 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

There's no replacement for displacement.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

rofl.. great answer
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Shelby!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Boss Hoss Rider

Originally Posted by LilRoush

Enjoy your new ride.
OK Guys,
I'm not looking to go kittywampus here (kittywampus???) but, I just figure if 550 hp is fun, 650 hp is funner. A guy I talked to about buying his 2011 had made a few simple mods (i.e., pulley, tuned, plug upgrade, etc.) for about 1500 bucks and he showed, I think he said an increase of 80-100 hp. What about the exhaust system on my 2011? Can I improve sound and performance with different axle backs or cat backs without spending a fortune? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2011 Shelby or Roush stage 3