Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

4.6 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Mustangfan35

Default 4.6 Swap

I have a 1999 Mustang Gt 4.6 Sohc 5 speed it has a noise in the motor in pretty sure it is timining chaing but I'm wanting to put a new motor into due to it has 170k miles on it...I have found a 2005 f150 4.6 motor what all would I need/do to make it produce around the 260hp like the mustangs...thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The potential donor engine you're considering will be considerably more work and $$ than the following suggestions....

1) Repair what needs fixed on your car. New oem Ford timing chain set runs less than $400. If when you get it apart you find that the plastic chain guides are worn to the point that pieces have broken off then I would suggest you remove the oil pan, as they tend to collect in there and then cause an obstruction to the oil pickup tube. Your engine only has 170K; assuming that other than the timing chain issue it is healthy, it has a lot of living left to do.

2) Source a used 4.6 2V from a 2001+ CrownVic/GrandMarquis/Towncar. The newer and less miles, the better. Nothing from a former taxi or police service vehicle, as they will have a ton of miles and otherwise fall under the "severe use" category. You can usually find them for under $1K, and aside from a few external parts you will need to retain from your current engine (exhaust manifolds, upper intake plenum, flywheel if manual transmission and less than a handful of other things) the engines themself are identical to yours and will be a direct no BS swap.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:03 PM
UglySN95

Exclamation Help

So I've got an 08 4.6 out of a crown victoria in my 96 GT, I'm having an issue with the coolant temp sensor. Something to do with them switching from ECT to CHT sensors. Looking for a way to get the temp sent to the ECU so it will stop treating it like the coolant is at -40 degrees. Its sending way to much fuel to the motor. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i am guessing you are using the 1996 ECU with a 2008 4.6l 3v engine.

have you installed a ECT Sensor in the cooling system and run the sensor to the engine wiring harness?