Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Quick run with a magnum lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:17 AM
Explosive

Default Quick run with a magnum lol

Yesterday while on lunch, in the dumbest place ever ( lots of cops) i had a quick run with a magnum, i will assume RT ? V8 and had exhaust for sure. I roll up to a red light, see the mangum but think nothing of it, I'm on my way to the deli so all im thinking about is the delicious sandwich im about to eat. The light goes green, and i leave like any sane person on their way to lunch lol. I noticed light tire squeals next to me and suddenly hear wooshing intake noise. As i was shifting into second it clicked he was coming hard so i said eff it why not lol. I mash it, just into second it was god awful, luckily the Focus ST makes boost quick with the pea shooter turbo but damn it lagged pretty bad as i had just granny shifted into second.

His quarter panel is about at my fender when the boost hits and i instantly kill his pull, now by the top of 2nd we're damn near even, the front of my pass door is a the back of his drivers door, i nail third and jump dead even its neck and neck. I grab fourth hard and we're still neck and neck, i let out early once into fourth as like i said it was a dumb place to run to begin with and we were heading into traffic soon. Impressive though, the focus is no rocket ship but its not a turd. Had i known we were going to run i think i could have taken him by maybe a fender but it was a great race. Makes me wish the Mach was on the road. Nothing crazy but its slow around here so figured why not, also car was on 87 octane during this race. Just switched back as 93 jumped up recently.

Also had a run in with some kids with diesel trucks dont think i mentioned that one. It was a few weeks back. I was getting groceries one night and they followed me from the store parking lot to the gas station and asked what the car ran. I told him its only made a couple ****ty passes and went high 14's low 15's @ 100. So given trap id bet the car in the perfect situation could possibly pull 13.99 or bottom 14s. He's like cool my buddies truck goes 13's and mine goes 14's care if we follow you ? Yea sure whatever( they had girls with them, always like to try and embarrass in those situations lol). I had 87 in the car this time as well, went onto the highway figured they'll make boost easier plus i know i will lol. About 50 roll in third gear, i honked off and proceed to put buses and i mean buses on the truck that ran "13's" . They continued to follow, i pulled into a park and ride to ask if they wanted to go from a dig. They just hammered down and went by, wouldn't stop lol....

Focus mods

OCD axleback (muffler delete basically)
Boomba Rear motor mount
Boomba solid aluminum shift plate bushings (this is a must have for anyone with one of these cars)
FSWERKS short throw shift plate - 30% reduction setting
Anarchy shift ball, weighs about 1.5lbs.
Half of a ROUSH CAI ( just the open lid and filter, not running a cold air tube)
Turbosmart 50/50 bypass valve

I think that covers it, nothing that really adds any power but the mods help the way the car drives tremendously over stock and adds race car sounds lol

Last edited by Explosive; 05-10-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

That's 2 more races then I've been in this year.

Congrats
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Explosive

Lol I hear ya. Hopefully soon
Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

So you were on the stock 87 tune still right? That's a pretty good run against the magnum being you were late to the party..and that 13 second truck lol
Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Explosive

Stock tune, 87 octane and an air filter that hasnt been cleaned yet (about 40k miles on it lol - that dd life lol)

If i was serious about the car id do an intercooler, downpipe and tune and it would run pretty good i think. Cant believe those big ole magnums run as decent as they do.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I like those magnums, would love an SRT. If you had of been running an aftermarket 93 tune you would of pulled him pretty good. Completely different cars tuned.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Explosive

yea, i know the tune would help but its my dd and i just decided to leave it alone. id still like to sell. Self taught myself some photography stuff over the last year which im improving on and enjoy, but damn its another expensive hobby. Want to sell the focus, buy some 4v heads and start piecing timing stuff together and get my short block finished. I'd like to mach to be F1A procharged in the next two years or so.