Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Suspension how tos

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM
mrappe

Default Suspension how tos

I am not sure if am in the right forum. I just bought a 1998 Mustang and the suspension is bad. I don't want to lower it or mod it for high performance. I just want to restore it and if it turns out better than the original then that is welcome. I am looking for info on how to replace the worn out parts. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank You
Old 05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are not already familiar with working on cars, I don't suggest you try this yourself. Maybe find a buddy that has done this kind of work and ask him to do it with your help. I am sure if you did some Googling around, you will find some installation instructions. You can always go to Maximum Motorsports website and look up the installation instructions for their stuff. The OEM parts are gonna install the same way in 99% of all cases, so that should work. The instructions are also in .PDF files so you can save them to your desktop for quicker reference.

Jazzer
Old 05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
mrappe

Thanks for the reply but I have been working on cars since my first car (1956 Ford Town sedan). Before that i worked on my Honda 50. I rebuilt the 400 small block for my 67 Camaro in 1974. Worked on my 78 Camero, 1980 Scirrico, 1987 RX-7, 1997 Winstar and others. Right now my 93 Mitsu VR is sitting in my drive awaiting a timming belt change. My son's 99 Jetta blew out a clutch coming home from his college graduation last weekend and we are going to work on it so I bought the Mustang since we only have our 09 Sienna running at this time. Out of all these cars I have not replaced the shocks/springs/struts but have done most other things so i was looking for some info on the Mustang. My back is old but my son is home now now so I can get his help with the heavy stuff.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Then, why are you asking for instructions... .lol : Just git in there and start replacing stuff Any self-respecting mechanic is allergic to instruction manuals anyway. Before you get mad, I am 100% funning with you.

Depending on the mileage, I would start with replacing the OEM LCA's/UCA's, as they are probably the most shot. Next, probaby the "A" arms. That will cover the vast majority of items that will lead to a sloppy feel on the road.

Jazzer

EDIT: For the UCA's/LCA's, I am also recommending an OEM replacement, based on your initial post. Pretty much ALL aftermarket suspension parts are gonna add NVH and some of them will create very negative issues with suspension operation.

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 05-21-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 PM
mrappe

Thanks for the info. Please define 'NVH'. Does this car have struts or shocks?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

N.V.H. = Noise Vibration Harshness

Your car has both shocks (rear) and struts (front) and are one of the two most important items in control of NVH on an otherwise OEM ride. The next, and probably #1 item that can make/break a nice ride, is tires. The higher the Summer performance and/or wider you go, the more NVH you are likely to receive in return.

FWIW... pop into the Official Suspension Guide and may give you a bit of insight on what you are looking to do with your ride

Jazzer
Old 05-22-2011, 03:40 PM
mrappe

I will take a look. I would not mind improving the ride over stock but since I need to fix the clutch on the 99 Jetta and get my VR4 running again I only have so much time and money to do them all. Thank for the response.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrappe
I am looking for info on how to replace the worn out parts. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank You
Replacing most everything in a Mustang suspension is pretty straightforward wrenching, no matter what the year.

With one or two exceptions.
Springs, especially front springs. Work carefully - a spring that "escapes" is a spring that can put you in the hospital. Or worse.

Upper strut mounts. Potentially lots of little pieces inside. I'm not sure if the SN95 mounts are made this way or not, but you really don't want them to get loose if they are.

I would guess that the most noticeable improvements will come from new shocks and struts, and new suspension bushings. Shop carefully for the first, and poly-everything isn't the universal answer for the second. Restoring the OE ride height if it's settled will also help.

Norm