Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Front strut & rear shocks ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Default Front strut & rear shocks ?

So when I bought my car it came with these really low springs(possibly cut) and I've been bouncing around on dips when going more than ~40mph. Its really annoying me and it seems like a safety hazard so I looked into the fix. I guess I need shocks that supports the new springs since the OEM ones are made to support the original height of the vehicle. So how do i choose the right shocks for my car? I dont want to get new shocks and end up bouncing again or breaking the shocks since they arent designed to support my ride height.

Here are some pictures giving you an idea of how low it is because I dont know the exact drop height of the springs. Tire sizes are 245/40/18 front and 245/45/18 rear. For the front I think the drop is more than 2 inches. Not sure about the back.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

That is indeed a VERY agressive drop and recommend you purchase new springs and shocks at one time. This is because you will never get a good match for your spring rate, because we really don't know what it is any more. Besides, matching them is important to get a good ride with nice handling anyway.

How much drop do you like and how important is proper tire wear and/or handling characteristics to you?

Jazzer
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

So shocks won't fix this problem?
I wanted to get new springs if the shocks can not address this issue but I can't get them both at the same time because I can't afford them. I was looking into the H&R Super Sport springs. Do you think I will still bounce around if i just got the H&Rs?

I really like the muscle car stance I have right now, with the bigger wheels and taller in the back and smaller wheels and hunched in the front but I don't want to be bouncing around so I'm willing to go for performance over looks.

I have 245/40/18 up front and 245/45/18 on the rear. Would getting 245/40/18 on the rear help the performance?

My ultimate goal is a daily driver but I dont mind stiffness since I'm still young and can handle the rough road.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You can get just shocks/struts to improve your ride, but the problem is which ones?

Trying to match them up to your springs is very difficult, due to the unknown rate/stiffness because they are cut. You could probably get close, or at least better, but would hate to see you purchase them now, only to "guess" wrong and be a bad choice for your new springs later.

I suppose you could contact Stranoparts.com or MM and inquire as to what may work via phone call. Maybe you could get a set that works well for what will be your springs down the road and just purchase them ASAP. This is not the best way to accomplish your goals, but certain it will handle/ride better now and hopefully later on as well.

Jazzer
Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Okay I'll contact them. Thanks for your help Jazzer
Old 08-05-2011, 04:32 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Purchase the springs first, then buy matching shocks. If your springs are indeed sagging that bad, you could max out your new shocks, and cause an internal valving failure.

Remove the cause of the problem before you try to fix the parts that have been damaged... or you will just have more damaged parts!