Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
FLYBOY_GT
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension help

Hi all,
I have a bit of an issue with the suspension. I have a 99 gt vert with new tokico blues and Eibach springs. The suspension has become very what i would call "klunky" and dont know what is causing it. worn out bushings perhaps? basically when going over bumps the front and rear end make a loud thump when the suspension travels up and back down (at top and bottom of travel) and the result is the car gets thrown pretty bad over a bump that is not something that should cause that much throw. the car has 150000 miles on it and Im thinking the bushings are toast in front/rear control arms? I have stock front strut mounts no camber/caster plates and i noticed the other day that the strut screw slot doesnt come all the way through the nut on either side so i took it apart and it looks like the metal sleeve inside the bushing is what is stopping the nut from going any further.

so what im looking at is either a full bushing replacement, which im not too keen on, or front control arm bushings, CC plates, bumpsteer kit, ball joints, rear upper and lower control arms with spherical bushings. I dont race the car but I want the suspension to be a little bit tighter than stock. just seems sloppy. I used to run autox, not in a mustang, but i like the tighter suspension setup.

I have read a lot of threads the past few days and realized that the Rear LCA and UCA's are a popular topic, especially on what to buy. There doesnt seem to be much info on the front control arms.

thanks for any help
Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I recommend you get the car up off of all four wheels and do a close inspection of all the suspensions components. Does indeed sound like some UCA bushings may be shot, but they all should be thoroughly inspected for wear/damage.

Once done take a look at The Official Suspension Guide for the single most important question, in regards to the next move

Jazzer
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FLYBOY_GT
Hi all,
I have a bit of an issue with the suspension. I have a 99 gt vert with new tokico blues and Eibach springs. The suspension has become very what i would call "klunky" and dont know what is causing it. worn out bushings perhaps? basically when going over bumps the front and rear end make a loud thump when the suspension travels up and back down (at top and bottom of travel) and the result is the car gets thrown pretty bad over a bump that is not something that should cause that much throw. the car has 150000 miles on it and Im thinking the bushings are toast in front/rear control arms? I have stock front strut mounts no camber/caster plates and i noticed the other day that the strut screw slot doesnt come all the way through the nut on either side so i took it apart and it looks like the metal sleeve inside the bushing is what is stopping the nut from going any further.

so what im looking at is either a full bushing replacement, which im not too keen on, or front control arm bushings, CC plates, bumpsteer kit, ball joints, rear upper and lower control arms with spherical bushings. I dont race the car but I want the suspension to be a little bit tighter than stock. just seems sloppy. I used to run autox, not in a mustang, but i like the tighter suspension setup.

I have read a lot of threads the past few days and realized that the Rear LCA and UCA's are a popular topic, especially on what to buy. There doesnt seem to be much info on the front control arms.

thanks for any help
You only mentioned "eibach" springs, but didn't specify if they are Pro Kit or Sportline. If they're sportlines and you didn't cut or remove the snubbers over the axle tubes and above the center section, then I'll guarantee you're pounding the snubbers when you hit bumps in your car. That's easy to check for though. There will be rub marks.

Regarding the control arms and a-arms, I recommend UPR Products. Our suspension is Made in America, it carries a Lifetime Guarantee, it works really well, and we offer mf.com members a forum discount.

www.uprproducts.com
Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 PM
FLYBOY_GT
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info so far.
Sorry, the springs are the Pro Kit, and I have read through the suspension guide and made some decisions but i dont want a suspension that is going to throw me everywhere. I was hoping to get some insight into different things cause i dont have the funding for trial and error.
UPR is where I am looking for parts.
I was looking at this kit
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ackage-99.html
with spherical bushings for the UCA's.

Any clue what is causing the clunking in the front end?
thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Not sure what you mean by a suspension that "throws you everywhere"? Now, good handling suspension will be more responsive than current, but will give you wonderful control of your car, once you get used to it.

Yes... the above kit is a nice set for your described needs, but you will need to purchase the LCA's and UCA's separately, as you have noticed the UCA's are solid. I've been hoping UPR would put together a package with those LCA's and ***THESE*** UCA's, but to no avail thus far

Keep in mind, the NVH will go up quite a bit over OEM with these parts, but sounds like it will be right up you alley.

Jazzer