Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lowering springs and tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM
jrcabe

Default Lowering springs and tire wear

I'm looking for help again. I am a neophyte and everything is a learning experience for me. After researching I found that most people believed that if you only lowered the front end by 1 inch that you would not have issues with tire wear (2011 GT). I lowered the front 1 inch and the back 1 1/2. Six months later I have excess tire wear on the inside of the front tires. I took it in for realignment and everything is as it is suppose to be.

Is there an easy solution, without caster/ camber plates? If anyone has dealt with this I would appreciate some advice. Can we adjust the camber outside of normal specs to address the problem? How much?

As always, thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Your best bet is to install a set of CC plates, as they will offer a full range of adjustment for improved front grip. Did you lower your car for esthetics, improvement in handling or both?

Jazzer
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 AM
jrcabe

Thanks Jazzer! I've come to the conclusion that CC plates are the answer. Just wish I had known that when I was doing the initial spring install. Would have saved a great deal of time and effort on my 68 year old body. I mostly installed them for the looks. Is it worth trying the camber bolts first to see if they will allow for enough adjustment? I will not be taking my car to the track.

Thanks again. Jrcabe
Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

You took it in for an alignment, and they said everything was correct?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by jrcabe
Thanks Jazzer! I've come to the conclusion that CC plates are the answer. Just wish I had known that when I was doing the initial spring install. Would have saved a great deal of time and effort on my 68 year old body. I mostly installed them for the looks. Is it worth trying the camber bolts first to see if they will allow for enough adjustment? I will not be taking my car to the track.

Thanks again. Jrcabe
I am not a fan of camber bolts, but would NOT use anything but an FRPP one. Even though you are not tracking the car, there is still going to be some strain on suspension components and you just never know how much or when such a thing will happen. If you have aftermarket (wider than OEM) wheels, the 1st "C" can be quite usefull in a set of plates. They will allow you to keep more tire on the road surface during a turn and hence, improve your grip on them.

All this said, camber bolts will certainly be the least expensive and most direct way to address the issues you have.

Jazzer
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM
jrcabe

Flamingo - I did take it in and they said everything was normal. Even showed me the screen. All were in the green.

Thanks Jazzer - what does FRPP mean? Being a neophyte is showing through again.

J Mc
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Ford Racing Performance Parts

Jazzer
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I'm 54 years old & I hope I will be able to drive my "Roanstang" when I'm 68! Amazing
how hot rodder's never stop "burnin thru the twisty's". Stay down Bro! Yee Haw!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Lowering with just the springs will cause excessive camber and uneven tire wear up front, that is why we use our strut mounts, in addition to being stronger they have room for camber adjustment, the stock ones don’t.

Great American piece that will definitely help you with your tire wear - http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-2...ut-mounts.html

Let me know if I can help you get a set ... you can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 AM
jrcabe

Thanks Audio Al and Tim. I'll be putting on some cc plates as soon as I can order them. Best of luck and keep burning that rubber.