Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Homemade Coil Spring Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Viss1

Default Homemade Coil Spring Spacers

After a couple of weeks with my new suspension, I'm not thrilled with the ride height (slightly low in the rear) or the ride itself. I'd be happy with 1/4"-1/2" more height in the rear. To address this and also potentially help with impact harshness I'm thinking about fabricating some spacers out of rubber stock (like this stuff: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=mz7gbs).

Basically, I'd cut the rubber to the right diameter and insert it between the stock upper spring isolator and the body. I figure a 1/2" disc of fairly hard rubber (around 70-80A durometer) should get me around a 1/4" raise and maybe help slightly with impact harshness. I'd use it at the top mount instead of the bottom because there's more sheetmetal around the spring.

Before you ask why I don't just try different springs, I have Steeda Sports, which unless I'm wrong are the mildest available in terms of height and ride quality. Better shocks (I have STR-T's) might help with the ride, but not the height.

Any thoughts or reasons not to do this?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Did you remove the coil spring seats already? If you did, get new ones from ford, They may add just the right amount of height you are looking for. If you still have the old ones, try these instead.

Poly doesn't compress as much as rubber so again, they may give you the smidge of height you are looking for...

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-r...isolators.html

And no, I wouldn't use flat Rubber stock as it will simply slip out from under the spring over time.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Derf00
Did you remove the coil spring seats already? If you did, get new ones from ford, They may add just the right amount of height you are looking for. If you still have the old ones, try these instead.

Poly doesn't compress as much as rubber so again, they may give you the smidge of height you are looking for...

And no, I wouldn't use flat Rubber stock as it will simply slip out from under the spring over time.
^^good call.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Viss1

Originally Posted by Derf00

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like those are for Fox cars, though (mine's an '08). My seats are contoured for the coil.

Just curious, how/why would the disc I'm thinking about slip out? It would be "locked in" on the sides by the sheetmetal and below by the stock isolator.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Oops, I didn't catch the part about it being an '08. My bad.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I would like to see how you made out with this, not much out there for a s197.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Viss1

Haven't followed through yet. More interested in driving it than working on it ATM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Shikobasmith

Hey.. thanks for providing this link. It is really awesome for me to have amazing collection of pictures on the latest cars at this platform.