Texas Regional Chapter Chapter President: ODDYSEY

Best dealer in Austin/SAT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Teggsan

Default Best dealer in Austin/SAT?

Looking to get my first mustang (but fifth Ford) in the next 30 days or so.

Anyone recommend a good dealer in Austin/SAT or surrounding areas that'll give me a good deal and no hassles?

Probably looking at a GT Premium with Brembo and a hood scoop (not sure exactly which package that is). Probably no other options. Kona Blue with a white stripe if I can get it that way. Any idea what I should expect to pay for that?

Thanks for any tips.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I don't know anything about any Ford dealers in San Antonio, but in the greater Austin area, there are several dealers.

In Austin themselves, there is Maxwell Ford, Lief Johnson Ford, Covert Ford. In Georgetown/Round Rock, there is Mac Haik Ford.

Mac Haik also has a dealership in Houston.

As to which one is the best? I would say that Mac Haik and Covert have the most 'Stangs as far as on-lot stock. The rest is kind of a crap shoot.

If you are asking which ones are willing to deal? None of them, that is until you start playing them off of each other. And since the Austin zip codes are selling 'Stangs really well, none will initially be willing to reduce their prices below the $1000 customer appreciation discount.

To drop below MSRP minus $1000 discount, this is what you should do: go to a dealer, and get to the point where you are just about to sign the papers to buy the car. Then start pressuring the finance guy that he HAS to drop more off the price. He will not budge, so this is where you say "I need to think about it more" and begin to walk out.

The finance guys will do one of three things:
1) He will insist you come back and he will take some more off the price. If he does this, say "That is not enough" and continue to walk out. If he budges more, he is willing to negotiate price.

2) He will let you go home, but the salesman will call you at home a day or two later and ask you to come back and talk to the finance guy some more. If the finance guy budges on the price, start pressuring him more on dropping the price.

3) The finance guy will let you go and forget about you. This last choice is unlikely because if you already are at the point they have papers ready for you to sign, they do not want to lose a sure sale.
If they do let you go and never try to win you back, do the tactic again at another dealership. And at the next dealer, tell them immediately that another dealer is taking off no less than $1000 off the car price, but do not tell them that it is the customer appreciation discount.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I think they are all pretty much the same. Just go in and tell them what you want and say.. Well I think I'm gonna go and see what so and so has.. Pretty sure that'll get you a couple grand off.. Good luck..
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

If you are willing to drive, there is always Dallas/FW area dealers... A couple weeks ago there were 2011's advertised as $5000 off MSRP... Might be worth the drive to check it out. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Don
Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
jewc75
Banned

San Antonio has Jordan Ford and Northside Ford.
New Braunfels has Bluebonnet Motors