Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Remote starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:49 AM
jimbo285

Default Remote starts

Up here in the frozen north, we like to have remote starts on our vehicles. It helps to avoid the half awake sprints in the early am to get the car up to temp so the windows will defrost. Anyway, the local install shops are saying they have to wait up to 3 months for a "software integration" or at least that's what I thought they said. It sounded like an adult in Charlie Brown cartoon saying "Wha, wha, wha..." They say that they have tried putting Vipers and astrostart systems but they wont integrate with the new fords. I couldn't get the Ford factory remote because mine is a manual trans. The install shops have also tried Explorers so i know it's not a clutch switch issue. My question to you, if you read through my long story to get this far, is if anyone else knows of any problems like this or if they know of a fix yet?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Remote start on a manual transmission, I and many other on the forum will strongly advise you against that. I don't think Ford even supports that?

We've had other members that ignored that sage advice and in one case ended up with their car in a pond because it was left in gear when it was parked and someone hit the remote start button without realizing it was left in gear.... Long story short, the dealer was not liable. I don't recall what happened with his insurance company other than they were debating if they would pay or not.

Buy a thick warm jacket, some nice ski goggles and make the sprint!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:47 PM
jimbo285

Originally Posted by Derf00
Remote start on a manual transmission, I and many other on the forum will strongly advise you against that. I don't think Ford even supports that?

We've had other members that ignored that sage advice and in one case ended up with their car in a pond because it was left in gear when it was parked and someone hit the remote start button without realizing it was left in gear.... Long story short, the dealer was not liable. I don't recall what happened with his insurance company other than they were debating if they would pay or not.

Buy a thick warm jacket, some nice ski goggles and make the sprint!
Ford does not support remote starts for manuals, thats why we are trying Viper. Viper supports cars with manual transmissions. I am smart enough to leave my vehicles in nuetral with hand brake set. I know the world population isn't as lucky.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Mignav001

Default Remote starts

I've never heard of a car not accepting the remote start system before maybe it's a s550 thing? I'm in the practice of leaving in neutral as well, since I'll be installing a viper soon, although it's not on an s550 or let alone a stang
Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jimbo285
Ford does not support remote starts for manuals, thats why we are trying Viper. Viper supports cars with manual transmissions. I am smart enough to leave my vehicles in nuetral with hand brake set. I know the world population isn't as lucky.
You are smart enough (like me) but I've noticed the majority of the population also leaves manual cars in 1st gear when parked. That's what happened to this guy, he left it with a dealer and they left it in 1st gear (with the hand brake set) and someone popped the button on accident, car ended up in the pond. A cranking car will easily overpower the handbrake if it's in gear. Try it sometime.

it just takes that one time that you allow someone to move your car for you and they leave it in gear and unknowingly you hit the remote start next time you go to drive it.

It's similar to those that just put an automatic in 'Park' and do not set the hand brake. Makes no sense to me but that's what the majority of the population does.

P.S. I'm sure Viper has an indemnity clause for using the remote start on a manual car
Old 12-12-2017, 03:32 PM
NastyGrabber

Ford also discontinued the remote start app for the '17 Mustang.

Has anyone come up with a remote starter w/an Android app for controlling it from anywhere? Anything that's plug & play?

Originally Posted by jimbo285
Ford does not support remote starts for manuals, that's why we are trying Viper. Viper supports cars with manual transmissions. I am smart enough to leave my vehicles in nuetral with hand brake set. I know the world population isn't as lucky.