The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

1996 mustang gt with 04gt motor VS 96 or 98 acura with k20 + mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I'm up in Tehachapi, so I know what you mean about ricers in Bakersfield. 99% of them are morons that have 17 second cars and think they can run 11's and they try to race everyone. The other 1% of them end up being ugly cans of rape...industrial strength, so be careful.

You won't tell if a Honda has cams most of the time, the VTEC can give them a mild low rpm profile that sounds stock but have a wild cam profile when the VTEC kicks in. So "built" sound with a built Honda is ambiguous at best somtimes. A truly built K20 with the right cams, head work etc could potentially be a very fast car....but given the general pattern of imports in this area, it's probably stock with a Hondata tune and CAI and exhaust, that's what nearly all of them are. Nearly everyone around here, import or muscle car guys, are morons that have almost no clue about vehicle performance. They talk about "built cars" that they have, which almost always means CAI and exhaust with a crappy tune.

As far as forged internals, they can and often are lighter, depending on what you get. Typically a forging is strong enough that you can use less material and still have greater strength, yet benefit from a significant weight reduction. 5.0 Ford cranks for example, in a 302...stock is like 40# give or take iirc, and a good lightweight forged 347 crank which is larger since the crankpins sit farther out, often only weighs around 34-36#. I've seen forged cranks that are aerowinged and cut down often weigh as little as 30-32# for a 347 stroker crank, but those are expensive. As far as what's in the K20 in question, who knows, might be total bs. Be careful though, since he may be running forged internals that are lighter...and there to hold juice from a hidden system.

The one thing about cars around here is the ricers that ARE fast, are usually sneaky lil bastards with a hidden nitrous system...I've seen some at the strip run 12's on street tires in a stock looking import, but they're few and far between. For whatever reason everyone around here that is fast thinks you have to hide crap and lie about it. They like bragging about their "stock Integra" that beat a built whatever, when they're anything but stock.

Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that the weather around here is starting to warm up again, and it gets HOT. Cars at the strip here are slower than average because of the heat...and the track is only open when the weather mostly sucks.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=67mustang302;6879695]I'm up in Tehachapi, so I know what you mean about ricers in Bakersfield. 99% of them are morons that have 17 second cars and think they can run 11's and they try to race everyone. The other 1% of them end up being ugly cans of rape...industrial strength, so be careful.

You won't tell if a Honda has cams most of the time, the VTEC can give them a mild low rpm profile that sounds stock but have a wild cam profile when the VTEC kicks in. So "built" sound with a built Honda is ambiguous at best somtimes. A truly built K20 with the right cams, head work etc could potentially be a very fast car....but given the general pattern of imports in this area, it's probably stock with a Hondata tune and CAI and exhaust, that's what nearly all of them are. Nearly everyone around here, import or muscle car guys, are morons that have almost no clue about vehicle performance. They talk about "built cars" that they have, which almost always means CAI and exhaust with a crappy tune.

As far as forged internals, they can and often are lighter, depending on what you get. Typically a forging is strong enough that you can use less material and still have greater strength, yet benefit from a significant weight reduction. 5.0 Ford cranks for example, in a 302...stock is like 40# give or take iirc, and a good lightweight forged 347 crank which is larger since the crankpins sit farther out, often only weighs around 34-36#. I've seen forged cranks that are aerowinged and cut down often weigh as little as 30-32# for a 347 stroker crank, but those are expensive. As far as what's in the K20 in question, who knows, might be total bs. Be careful though, since he may be running forged internals that are lighter...and there to hold juice from a hidden system.

The one thing about cars around here is the ricers that ARE fast, are usually sneaky lil bastards with a hidden nitrous system...I've seen some at the strip run 12's on street tires in a stock looking import, but they're few and far between. For whatever reason everyone around here that is fast thinks you have to hide crap and lie about it. They like bragging about their "stock Integra" that beat a built whatever, when they're anything but stock.

Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that the weather around here is starting to warm up again, and it gets HOT. Cars at the strip here are slower than average because of the heat...and the track is only open when the weather mostly sucks. [/QUOTE]

I know!!! Very true in all you said! You pretty much know the Bakersfield mind set. lol AND YEA, The heat in Bakersfield is unbearable!!!!

Anyways, you should come down to the In-N-Out on sat's bro. It's pretty cool. One of the dudes I hang out with has lightning. He bet some cash against an evo this past sat and lost by one car! It gets pretty cool. As you may know, the police always breaks it up so we just do little private races and then chill.
---------------------------------------
to the rest, I will make a vid and I know(dude with grey s197) my car only has exhaust, RAM HDX clutch and nitto drags. Not much but the car does run really strong. I just cant wait to save money for my gears!!!! That will help me plenty!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I usually work Saturdays, and I don't street race. Everyone always has an excuse why they lost, sometimes people want to fight, and I work as a vehicle test driver, so any tickets or trouble could cost me my job because I need to have a clean record to be insurable on a prototype car.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
I usually work Saturdays, and I don't street race. Everyone always has an excuse why they lost, sometimes people want to fight, and I work as a vehicle test driver, so any tickets or trouble could cost me my job because I need to have a clean record to be insurable on a prototype car.
Sounds like a cool job! Yea, street racing would be something retarted for putting your job at risk.

Yea man, ppl do really get mad and pull out guns and stuff, so we just keep it simple with the private races of no more that like 15 cars, all pertaining to two car crews.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

They used to have a lot of(and maybe still do) street races on the podunk nowhere roads out in Delano, but a lot of knives and guns started getting pulled. Completely out of hand.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
I'm up in Tehachapi, so I know what you mean about ricers in Bakersfield. 99% of them are morons that have 17 second cars and think they can run 11's and they try to race everyone. The other 1% of them end up being ugly cans of rape...industrial strength, so be careful.

Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that the weather around here is starting to warm up again, and it gets HOT. Cars at the strip here are slower than average because of the heat...and the track is only open when the weather mostly sucks.
on a K, depending on how radical the cams are, you can tell. and if you watch the idle speed. my buddy has a cammed to hell D16 (lol) that actually sounds kinda decent at idle, has quite a lope to it. and it makes pretty good power too (182whp all motor).

edit: cammed Honda vid (it's a B18)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVCy...eature=related

Last edited by 1.5LofFury; 03-17-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a chainsaw, lol. I'm sure its a quick chainsaw regardless.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, it depends on the cams. But unlike a muscle car, a car with variable valve timing of some sort can be harder to tell if it's cammed. Ferraris are the best example, they have a very radical way of doing variable cam timing, and obviously have a LOT of cam for high rpm to make power in a 4.3L engine at over 8,000rpm, but they idle pretty smooth, especially for what they are. But their variable cam technology is extremely advanced....and complicated.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Im starting to understang alittle more about how a vtec "built" should sounds like. Sometimes they're little sleepers though and it's hard to tell!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You can't hear nitrous too, remember that.