The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2000 Mustang GT (Bolt-ons/Gears) vs Stock 01 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
89, me and you need to line up a race
Man I want to so bad!!! Just my p.o.s. is down and will be for the good part of the year im but one day my friend!

Oh and that video above got ugly fast for the 2v!!! Lol
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Stone if you and me ran with how my car was I think it would of been like this or a touch worse for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2m...e_gdata_player
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
Man I want to so bad!!! Just my p.o.s. is down and will be for the good part of the year im but one day my friend!

Oh and that video above got ugly fast for the 2v!!! Lol
Damn man, your 5.0 pulls hard as hell. Doesn't ever drop off either. I've been dying to run you for awhile. Our ETs are close..our cars just pull different. Would make one very interesting race!

I think I could do a little better than him up top, but not by too much. I've got a couple little things different that help my top end over his, but it would still be damn close. Should've rolled up there earlier in the year while you were still on the road.

So what's it going to take to get it back up and running? Are you planning on doing her up different or sticking with the same set-up? I need to know so I can go ahead and cam up or buy a bottle, lol.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

5.0 > 4.6!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Damn man, your 5.0 pulls hard as hell. Doesn't ever drop off either. I've been dying to run you for awhile. Our ETs are close..our cars just pull different. Would make one very interesting race!

I think I could do a little better than him up top, but not by too much. I've got a couple little things different that help my top end over his, but it would still be damn close. Should've rolled up there earlier in the year while you were still on the road.

So what's it going to take to get it back up and running? Are you planning on doing her up different or sticking with the same set-up? I need to know so I can go ahead and cam up or buy a bottle, lol.
Thaks man I know it pulled hard as hell for what it was and it surprised me and many of my friends with how it pulled. But I wish you had come up earlier in the year bc it would have been a hell of a match up!

As far as what will it take.... It all depends on my final decision I could get another short block and trans and roll on. But really want to really want to tear the motor down see what caused the oil pump to lock up and then do a 306 with a blower cam hopefully buy the victor efi intake off army302 if he still has it. I have a full tubular kmember and coil overs in my living room floor do a few other weight reductions and a solid dyno tunemaybe by fastlane. But we shall see where it all goes.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
Thaks man I know it pulled hard as hell for what it was and it surprised me and many of my friends with how it pulled. But I wish you had come up earlier in the year bc it would have been a hell of a match up!

As far as what will it take.... It all depends on my final decision I could get another short block and trans and roll on. But really want to really want to tear the motor down see what caused the oil pump to lock up and then do a 306 with a blower cam hopefully buy the victor efi intake off army302 if he still has it. I have a full tubular kmember and coil overs in my living room floor do a few other weight reductions and a solid dyno tunemaybe by fastlane. But we shall see where it all goes.
Gotcha. Doesn't sound like it'll be too bad/expensive to get back up and going.

Fastlane is about 15-20 mins from my house, so IF you do end up making the trip, be sure and let me know and I'll roll out there with you, maybe get a few runs in.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Good luck tho man and try to put it on vid!
There's a reason why I keep my HD video camera in the car with me!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

He is up against a solid 107-108 mph car with a 102 mph car.
An auto LS1 car isn't going to trap quite that high from the factory, unless it's in 30* weather. My highest trap when stock was 105, as was my wife's with her '01 Z28 (also with 2.73 gears).
FWIW my best 1/4 mile ET when stock was 13.52 and my wife's was 13.36 (better 60 ft). With all of those mods wouldn't the OP's car be capable of a better 1/4 mile run than that?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:11 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
So we got a new intern at work that's been telling me about his buddy's stock z28. I know these cars are pretty nasty to begin with (let alone with mods), but is there any way I keep up with this guy if we raced? I'm thinking either from a dig or ~40mph to 100mph. My mods are as follows:

FRPP 3.73 Gears
Ford 21 lb/hr Injectors
K&N Cold Air Intake
Flowmaster Three Chambered Cat-back Exhaust
75mm Trick Flow Throttle Body & Plenum
Short Shifter
Aluminum Driveshaft
Underdrive Pulleys
MM FLSFCs
UPR LCAs
93 Octane SCT Tune

Geez. I read these Mustang vs LSX threads and I feel like I'm in an alternate universe. Sure, those LS cars run strong, but in my experience if you can get out on them then it's a good race. Looking at Syracuse's mod list, I'm saying if you put me in his car **on DRs or DOT slicks**, I'll beat a stock 01 Z28.

For reference sake, here's me in my stock-motored 93 LX 5.0 5-speed vs my friend Titter's 01 SS/auto with bolt ons. My car made 236rwhp with a stock 5.0 and CAI, Tune, exhaust, gear, it had UPR Pro Series suspension, and 275/40-17 ET Street Radials. Titter's 01 SS had a lid and DRs. He and I raced those two cars probably a dozen times. Whoever got off the line cleaner got the win, always by about one length.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TommyV8
An auto LS1 car isn't going to trap quite that high from the factory, unless it's in 30* weather. My highest trap when stock was 105, as was my wife's with her '01 Z28 (also with 2.73 gears).
FWIW my best 1/4 mile ET when stock was 13.52 and my wife's was 13.36 (better 60 ft). With all of those mods wouldn't the OP's car be capable of a better 1/4 mile run than that?
OP should be able to run at least that, and I'm not saying that all LS1 cars are going to trap that high all the time, but I have seen quite a few do it. At the same time I have seen plenty NOT trap that high...even modded, lol. Gotta take the driver and other conditions (DA, etc) out of the equation I guess.

I remember being at the track one Sunday for test-n-tune with my GTO. It was a bolt-on tuned LS1 A4 GTO with DRs. I was running 12.8s at 108-109. Then rolls up a Z28 (can't remember the year, but it had over 100k miles) bone stock auto other than the bump stop mod. Sucker lined up with me and ran 13.1 after 13.1 after 13.1, all at 107-8. Kind of made me feel like a dumbazz for sinking so much into the Goat, lol. It was early fall when we were running, so it was in the 70s.

Quick Reply: 2000 Mustang GT (Bolt-ons/Gears) vs Stock 01 Z28