The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Brother's new car- 94 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.0Taurass
Well he ran it.....
...over a curb and into some trees. Too much car for him.
Yeah, those F Bodies don't give you any warning before they let loose. Mustang has a lot more feel to it IMO.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 AM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Lol man lt1's for youngsters must not be a good starter car. My fiances first car was a 96 z28 and the first week she had it, she got a little road rage, punched the gas and took out a barb wire fence and bent a rim. Lol. She was 16 then though. When I met her she still had it and the scars from the barb wire there. I did a few mods to it, Pacesetter lt's then upgraded the front brakes to c6 rotors and calipers. The one year she had it while with me, the damn thing went through two optisparks. After the last one I told her trade it for something she really wants. She now drives a c6.... Sorry I rambled a bit lol. I will say that her car ran damn good for an lt1. With my mods I barely pulled away from that car. Just hit up Craig's list, there's wheels and other parts for those cars on there all the time.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Man I really miss my LT1 (93 Z28). Had it while I was stationed in Germany. Day before I was to put it on the boat to ship back to the states, I decided to do one last WOT on the autubahn. Doing about 150 or so and I blew the engine...Man talking about being upset!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Wow wrecked already.. Haha sorry for the loss glad your brothers ok though. Bet your dad wasn't happy
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
I honestly believe it would have kicked the crap out of my ls1.
I've always wanted to get my hands on a cammed/bolt-on LT1. I've seen a couple do pretty good at the track.

Originally Posted by 3.0Taurass
Well he ran it.....

...over a curb and into some trees. Too much car for him.
Well damn, just glad nobody got hurt. Got to respect these machines.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I've always wanted to get my hands on a cammed/bolt-on LT1. I've seen a couple do pretty good at the track.
i can tell you that a head/cam/bolt-on LT1 pulls
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

This has always been my opinion but once you do heads on an LT1 the engine makes serious power... the stock heads were the limiting factor on them. It's the whole reason the LT4 was putting out LS1 numbers... set of LT4 heads wakes them up a lot, a good head makes them amazing IMHO.

Last edited by S8ER01Z; 10-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
Yeah, those F Bodies don't give you any warning before they let loose. Mustang has a lot more feel to it IMO.
They give plenty of feedback..just takes experience to know whats going on. FWIW I've seen far too many mustangs spin out trying to turn a corner to believe there is some kind of feedback advantage. Being young I'm guessing he kept his foot planted until it was too late... moderation is always your friend.

OP, Sorry to hear about your brothers car.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
They give plenty of feedback..just takes experience to know whats going on. FWIW I've seen far too many mustangs spin out trying to turn a corner to believe there is some kind of feedback advantage. Being young I'm guessing he kept his foot planted until it was too late... moderation is always your friend.

OP, Sorry to hear about your brothers car.
Exactly, knowing when to get out of it is key. And "when" is pretty much the second you feel the car get loose. Even then it may already be too late. Mine came around on me last year while I was passing another car, not even screwing around (just rained). Soon as I felt it break, I let off, but it still fishtailed back and forth 3 times nearly clipping the car I was passing and the guardrail. Gotten to where I hardly ever even get on it anymore, and then only in a straight line.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 PM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

Exactly, knowing when to get out of it is key. And "when" is pretty much the second you feel the car get loose. Even then it may already be too late. Mine came around on me last year while I was passing another car, not even screwing around (just rained). Soon as I felt it break, I let off, but it still fishtailed back and forth 3 times nearly clipping the car I was passing and the guardrail. Gotten to where I hardly ever even get on it anymore, and then only in a straight line.
i think that's where auto-x racing a 3rd gen v6 has really helped me. it had enough power to get loose, but not uncontrollably so. it made it real clear as to when the back was coming around. it was easier to explore the limits of the chassis when there's not a large amount of horsepower to cloud the experience. i guess that's the whole reason why everyone who likes cars seems to like the Miata. you don't have to be a driving god to get the most out of it.

Quick Reply: Brother's new car- 94 Firebird