Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Custom tuning solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Abilor

Default Custom tuning solution?

Howdy all,

I'm currently deciding whether or not I want to get a 370z, or a Mustang GT with the fabulous new Coyote powerplant. Right now I'm doing a lot of heavy lifting as far as research into the aftermarket scene for each platform, both vendors and forums.

Brief background: I have been in the Mazdaspeed world for three years now, and recently wrote the book on tuning for that platform. I have gotten very acquainted with using the Cobb AccessPort to log and tune for that platform. I have the stock turbo, a downpipe, upgraded intercooler, mounts, SRI, and am currently spraying methanol. Upped boost from 15 to 20 psi using the Cobb AccessTunerRace software, which allows me to edit my maps based on my logs. The resulting "street" tunes, while not done on a dyno, have yielded huge performance gains, albeit without using dyno to determine exact MBT.

Anyway, I would love to meet tuner enthusiasts on this platform, hear some techniques and stories, and most of all: Is there a handheld programmer for the 2011+ Mustang GT that will allow for total tuning solutions, including forced induction, while letting you roll your own tunes with map editing software WITHOUT paying a "tuners" license fee. Cobb has kind of spoiled us by allowing a "beta" version of ATR which individuals can use to do their own editing.

Thanks for info! I am but a traveler through here, so a tuner "hotel" is much appreciated.

Abilor

P.S. Why is a Mustang better than a 370z?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

You'd need a tuning suite like PRP to be able to tune yourself, but I MUST caution you, tuning these cars is NOT something you want to learn as you go.

My advice would be to get a good handheld tuner with logging abilities like a Trinity, and let a pro do the in depth tuning for you.

Thanks