Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

custom DIY tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Vukov

Default custom DIY tuning

what's up everyone...so i was reading the other day in one of the 4.6 forums about custom tuning DIY (searched and searched cannot find the thread again) there was a book that seemed very detailed that you could get (http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem...MNW3F2FF14J1QM) i was reading some of the book and this stuff is friggin amazing as to what your able to do with a tuner! now my question is this worth it? would i actually be able to do my own tuning and will i be better off than just getting one over email? i guess i don't quite understand off the bat cause i'm guessing when you get a ture for a CAI that you don't just type in "CAI" into the tunning program lol and what tunner and/or computer programs are out there that can moniter (i belive its called data loging i could be way off) air/fuel ratio and other motor functions to give me percise tunning?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

You would be better off getting a pro email tune or dyno tune depending on level of mods. I find tuning fascinating and know a decent bit about it but I realize I know enough to know that it's the type of thing that you want a pro to do who has been trained and does it fulltime professionally.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you have a second car (and money in case you make a big mistake and blow the motor), you can try tuning yourself.

Things you'll need:
Hand Held Tuner
Tuning Software
Wide Band sensor/guage
A thorough understanding of A/F and how it relates to stoichiometry
LOTS of Free Time to data log and drive around to get your tune just right.

I don't know of many people that create their own tunes just for fun unless their line of work has them workign with that stuff anyway or they are semi-pro racers with the means and resources to do it.

just my .02 cents
Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Vukov

thanks for the input...that's kinda what i figured but nontheless was curious and very facinated with the percise tunning your able to do these days. Anyone know about tunning as a career? how hard to get into (how much school, availability of work)? and aprox. pay?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vukov
thanks for the input...that's kinda what i figured but nontheless was curious and very facinated with the percise tunning your able to do these days. Anyone know about tunning as a career? how hard to get into (how much school, availability of work)? and aprox. pay?
No limit to the money a good tuner can make. The question is, how does one become a good tuner?
Lots, and lots, and lots of practice. As mentioned, you'll likely blow some things up along the way, but sometimes it sucks to have to find out what doesn't work
Old 10-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Vukov

ahhh sometimes i miss the old days of turing a couple screws on a carb, adding more carbs, and turning the distributer to advance timing lol