V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
fordpaul

Default Keyless entry

Hi there.
I have a '97 V6 which apparently should have keyless entry. There doesn't seem to be a module in the trunk. Can anyone tell me if I am right, and if I can fit one without major wiring hastle. What sort of cost would it be?
Thanks.
Paul
Old 04-13-2007, 12:00 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Keyless entry

is it manual or automatic
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

well, you made 3 posts about the same thing, so since this one already has a reply...lets keep rolling with it here.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:32 PM
fordpaul

Yeah. Sorry 'bout that had problems uploading for some reason.
It's an auto. As I now have the remote I would rather fit standard if possible. If not is it better to fit an aftermarket system.
Thanks.
Paul
Old 04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Just buy a new alarm.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

the modual for the ford system isnt in the trunk. i dunno where it is. you have a remote u said? is it a ford remote or aftermarket? if its ford you might just need to replace the battery in the remote. aftermaket systems sometiems have a switch to turn it on and off.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:15 PM
fordpaul

Its a Keyless ride remote. I have followed the instructions that came with it. It said that in the trunk, on the drivers side there is a small electrical plug, behind the lining. I cannot find the plug it's talking about. There is a plastic mountic bracket that holds 2 solenoids. On the back of this is a module for the interior lighting. There is also a space for the Remote entry module, but there is nothing there. I am confused. Any help would be great.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 PM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

holy thread resurrection batman...had to do this because I just found the keyless remote module in my 94 today as had to take the trunk carpet and trim pieces out to remove the taillights. Now, on ebay they have remotes and the instructions say to jump the two pins on the plug that is attached to the remote module to enter the programming mode and then just push a button on the remote to program the system. Has anyone actually programmed a remote this way? I have read tons of posts on here about this and some say the dealer has to do it ($90-$100), or you turn the key on off 8 times, etc, etc....so anyone used the plug in the trunk to program a remote?

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-29-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
hole thread resurrection batman...had to do this because I just found the keyless remote module in my 94 today as had to take the truck carpet and trim pieces out to remove the taillights. Now, on ebay they have remotes and the instructions say to jump the two pins on the plug that is attached to the remote module to enter the programming mode and then just push a button on the remote to program the system. Has anyone actually programmed a remote this way? I have read tons of posts on here about this and some say the dealer has to do it ($90-$100), or you turn the key on off 8 times, etc, etc....so anyone used the plug in the trunk to program a remote?
Yes I did this the other day for my 98. The whole process takes about 5 minutes.

I do want to clear up one thing. This process is commonly referred to as programming remotes. And that's fine. But what is actually happening is you are storing the remote transmitter's ID coed in the cars system. Once the car is in "programming mode" each remote is pressed and it transmits it's ID code. The car then stores that in memory. The memory can hold up to 4 codes. Once the process is complete only remotes that match a stored code will work with the car.

This is the best site I have found for this: http://www.programyourremote.com/

here is a pick of the connector and module:

Last edited by belairbrian; 10-29-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amrcnidyot
the modual for the ford system isnt in the trunk. i dunno where it is. you have a remote u said? is it a ford remote or aftermarket? if its ford you might just need to replace the battery in the remote. aftermarket systems sometimes have a switch to turn it on and off.
What makes you believe the module is not in the trunk?
The Factory "Electrical Vacuum And Trouble Shooting" manual page 151-14 shows the Remote/Keyless Entry Module mounted in the trunks on the drivers side. And when I was programming my remotes I saw it there.

This system can include PATS, Anti-theft and remote entry. My 97 only had PATS, no alarm system and no keyless entry.
The 98 has all 3. The PATS receiver is in the steering column and the PATS Control Module is in the instrument/dash panel. The anti/theft and remote entry modules are in the trunk.

According to Ford parts drawings, a car could come with Anti-theft, remote entry or both. As far as I can tell all cars came with PATS (96 on).

Last edited by belairbrian; 10-29-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry