V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 PM
XxXRacingUnleashed
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Steering Wheel Vibration

yea thats why i asked if it is braking or accel
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
UberNoobIshNess

when i had a simmular vibration in my 04 stang the drivers side hubassembly was going bad
Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Ares
1st Gear Member

Its an Auto, and it does it during accel and deccel. Its a constant vibration. and its not real bad but im getting a slight pull to the left.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM
MustangMisha

I have a the same exact problem with my car also (also a 2004 V6 stang). I do have one bent rim tho. but besides for that there is one other thing...There is a TSB ford put out for 2000-2003 mustangs that have that same shakeing problem. I dont know if they got around to updating the TSB to include 2004 models. I also had the pull to the left. Thats a wheel alinement issue that only gets worse and makes the shaking more intence. check to see if your front right tire has wear on the outside first few inches and then check if you have some wear on your left front tire inside first few inches. I hate the shake and Ford also said i needed balencing...well they did that and refused to give me my money back when that didnt solve the problem. You can google Ford mustang TSB and one of the first few links have all the mustang(and other ford manufactured, and other company of ford like lincon) TSB records in adobe format. then just scroll down and look for it. ist is not that long. you can filter it out easy because a lot of the choices say cobra only or 4.6 and 5.0 only. but there are a few that say shaking @ or around 52mph. then just tell ford u think the problem coresponds to that TSB and they will look into it. hope all that helps.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM
MustangMisha

Maybe someone can help me now... I just installed factory fog lights in my 2004 3.8 v6 stang. Did them myself and followed directions to a T....A few days after(about 3) as i was a block from my house listening to Bloomberg Radio ( i say this so you know i was not blasting my subs and interior speekers) my aftermarket face plate turned off and i couldent get it back on. I had this system for a few years not with zero problems. When i got home one min later i turned my car off and back on. When i turned it on it sounded like it was struggling to turn on and almost stalled. Tried that one more time and it did stall. Besides for that my guages bugged out and when i turned the key to the on position with out going all the way, the guages shot to the furthest positions that each one could go then back again to flat then adjusted to the appropriate levels. I trouble shot and found that a loose conection from the fog light hook up onto the fuse box where the battery and alternator hook up. the nut that was supposed to be pressing the wires together was not all the way compressed and that nut and bult was extreamely hot and melted part of the fog lights little wire. My free tow to the dealership ended up in a dead battery because the guy didnt take my key off the on position. So today i got a new battery optima yellow top (thought it was a good time for a $200 upgrade) and made sure the all my fog light and other connections were tight. The nut and bult connection was no longer getting hot so i started the car back up. The problem now is the guages still bugg out and do the same thing and the car still sputters at first for a second or two when that happens. When the car gets warmes up i turned it off and tried it again and the guages and start up was ideal. Waited a little while and tried it again and the same thing happened. please help me avoid the dealerships 98 buck diagnostic test. what do you think is wrong?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Ares
1st Gear Member

Thinks for the advice on the TSB. Im gonna look into that. Did you ever get that problem solved on yours though?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 PM
l_shizzle_l
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a bubble onyour tread(that is if your balance is good). Run your hands arround the tire on the tread and feel for a bubble, be sure to check the engine side of the tire as well.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

I think its the new wheels, when I got my new wheels I had alot of vibration and sometimes my steering wheel would pull hard to the right or left depending on the road. I think it was just that I had wider wheels/tires so they handled more of the road, I got my wheels rotated and balanced a few months later and it went away, its slowly coming back again so I think Ill have to make another trip to americas tire...
Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM
blknismo180
2nd Gear Member

maybe u have a flatspot...???
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Ares
1st Gear Member

I doubt its the wheels. I had them on for a while before I started to get any vibrations.. I didnt mention it but i got rearended right before the the problem started. It wasnt a hard hit by any means and left very little damage. Everywhere ive taken it says it couldnt have affected it but everything started less than a week after.