V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Questions about shift boot in an 04

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Default Questions about shift boot in an 04

I had alot of down time the past 2 days so i decided to go out and do a little interior work. Im lucky enough to have a v6 of the same year so if i f'k anything up to badly or i dont like it i can go back to stock immediately. Anyway im replacing my e-boot and shift boot and noticed that the shift boot along with a metal ring have been melted onto the plastic casing. Its like they put them through holes and melted the end to secure the boot on. Anyway i still havnt decided 100% whether i want a Redline product or if i wanna fab something cool up, but im curious how people have been getting the leather boot off and reattaching them? The pic shows what i mean.

If anyone is curious i wanted to do something with the interior and my car is white so i had considered painting the center console and ac vent perimeters white. But instead i sticker bombed it, and i was really happy with it so far. I also tore out the pading on my armrest and am looking into either memory foam or the soft gels they have on bike seats/keyboards. I also pulled out the tray in the armrest and painted it white just for a little contrast when you open up the armrest. The armrest will most likely go back to stock, knowing me il probably make something fugly lol.

Last edited by HornyHornyHippo; 09-11-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I had to replace my shift boot (as it had ripped) and all my tabs broke with I was trying to take it out so I have been unable to re-attach it. It bugs the **** out of me but everthing Ive tried has failed in getting it re-attached. Ive tried to glue it (Gorilla glue) and that turned into a mess and looks like crap, I tried to epoxy it and that didnt work either. I was thinking of getting this from latemodelrest.com and trying to screw the boot inbetween the ring and the plastic piece (above) and seeing if that works. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ter-Bezel-Trim

IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DONT TAKE THE SHIFT BOOT OFF, ITS A PITA TO GET BACK TOGETHER.

Matthew
Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

It's just plastic weld. You can buy a kit for it at almost any tool place. It's super easy to do
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Interesting. I like the idea of plastic welding for other projects so i might go buy the kit just to call it a day. I havnt taken it off yet, but i put in an order to redline so its comin off regardless. Ill look into the plastic weld. If not that bezel is perfect, just grab longer screws and screw everything into 1. I appreciate the help, il keep you updated. Probably do this tomorrow.

edit: the weld kit seems to be kinda pricey. I think im gunna try to fab something up before spending 50-100 bucks.

Last edited by HornyHornyHippo; 09-12-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

is there an easy way to remove the plastic welds? kuz ive been messing with my car lately and i just break them as i go lol.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

you can rivet in the new shift boot and place something like a bullit trim ring to hide the rivets
i took mine off and tried stuff like Matt did guerrilla glue, black silicone, w.e i could think of and all i did wad waste time and money, i just ordered one from lmr last night 110 buck and its the boot and bezel already attached
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 PM
mhutchby13
1st Gear Member

wish i read this topic before i tried taking my boot off for a cleaning. now mines detached from the plastic and looks terrible. im looking into the bezels and im stuck between these two. the one from lmr says it comes with drill bit and screws to attach it, but the one from am doesnt say what it comes with if it comes with anything at all. my guess is to get the one from lmr. any suggestions?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ter-Bezel-Trim

http://www.americanmuscle.com/manual...ezel-9404.html