V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

cheap performance chip or tuner for a 1999 mustang v6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by brad2130
Alright sorry for the late reply guys! I've been busy as heck. But I have an update with my car. I had the cats removed and an off road x pipe installed with MIL block offs with 29 lb fuel injectors to accommodate a supercharger off a 199 3super coupe t bird I got rele cheap but. I've heard mixed feelings because ill be reverting to the sn95 intake that is slightly restrictive. Any ideas? I got everything else off if a donor v6 that was wrecked. Any ideas?
30lb injectors you mean, I hope you haven't installed them already.

As far as the supercoupe supercharger, thats a b**** of a swap you need a long list of stuff so hopefully you got it all off the supercoupe that was wrecked. Here is your list:

-SC thermostat housing
-SC jackshaft pulley bracket
-SC PS pump bracket
-SC crank pulley
-SC water pump and pulley
-PS pump pulley (you can us your mustang pump)
-SC tensioner pulleys (all 3)
-if using the SC block/crank then use the 94-95 neutral balanced dampener with exeter gear, some dampeners off the F150 will work as well.
-if using the mustang block/crank then use you stock mustang dampener
-if using the SC block/crank then use the SC flywheel/flexplate
-if using the mustang block/crank then use the mustang flywheel/flexplate
-Mustang or SC starter will be fine, they are the same
-Mustang headers
-SC heads are better but Mustang heads would probably be fine (SC heads are supposedly a little stronger)
-SC injectors or eqivilent plus matching MAF
-89-93 SC came with 30# injectors and 55mm MAF
-94-95 came with 36# injectors and 70mm MAF
-all cooling hoses
-SC thorttle cable
-SC throttle cable bracket
-MUSTANG EEC
-MUSTANG wiring harness
-wire to lengthen wiring harness connectors
-extra cooling hoses for custom work
-MUSTANG timing chain cover or 94-95 SC timing chain cover
-MUSTANG crank sensor
-MUSTANG or SC alt will work, MUSATNG better sicne it has the extra connect on it, but will work without it for the SC alt, need to change pulleys if using the Mustang Alt. I believe the Mustang alt is more powerful as well, not exactly sure.
-SC AC compressor
-custom AC lines
-custom air inlet needed
-SC intercooler should work, not sure how well the SC intercooler tubes will clear but they should
or use a custom IC setup
-Mustang motor mounts
-SC valve covers
-Mustang DIS module, don't need the SC one.
-SC oil cooler (not needed but good to have)
-Mustng rad will work, but if using the SC IC then might be easier to us ethe SC rad its a little smaller though but works for the SC guys fine.
-Major tuning
-SC coil pack bracket (mustang coil pack should work but I have the SC coil pack as well)

Also: if your car is a 1999, you need cylinder heads from a 94-98 mustang or thunderbird 3.8L
Old 08-06-2011, 12:47 AM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

Holy sh***... im sorry I just used a donor motor because this car im using was flipped and totaled and it was a good friend of mine and he cut me a good deal. Ts the whole fuel injection system from jet or something like that. But the man selling me the sc. Said ir wouldn't be a hard swap because they were both 3.8 and all of have to do is change the intake manifold and stuff....this is gonna be a nightmare from he** lol but hey gotta start somewhere right? Okay I found this tuner it was with the car. Its an act but its locked to the car. Cam it be unlocked by the company or should I just buy one. Because I was told the sc. Would make my computer go nuts without a proper tuning. I hadn't realized the kind of work that goes into this! But its quite fun to be unique. I mean how many mustangs out there have this swap?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 PM
ramulen1982

a cheap way to co about opening intake is to take intake off of windstar its a lil taller but will open up alot more flow
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM
ramulen1982

you could also remove crank and pistons from ford 4.2 and install in your 3.8 they use the same rods. and that way you stroke current engine to 4.2 which if i rember correctly came with 225 hp stock in f150
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

so the chip that am offers is dog**** compared to hand held.. just want to get facts straight i was looking into the chip
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

The chip isn't crap, but everytime you install something new on your car you have to remove the chip an send it in to be reflashed. With the tuner you can just email them that you installed something, they write the new tune and email it to you.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
The chip isn't crap, but everytime you install something new on your car you have to remove the chip an send it in to be reflashed. With the tuner you can just email them that you installed something, they write the new tune and email it to you.
oh ok i didnt realize that but that is good information too know! thank you for clearing that up for me!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yep, you get the same tunes either way whether you get the chip or the tuner so as far as the gains you get the same gain from either or, but the tuner is WAY more convenient. Unless your done with modding the car and won't be adding anything else, then the chip would be fine. The good thing about the chip is that it comes with a dial that will allow you to change tunes on the fly but with the tuner you have to stop the car and cut it off. So pros and cons for both.